Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Research  Hop To Forums  Discussion of Papers    Study: Systemic Delivery of MicroRNA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Study: Systemic Delivery of MicroRNA
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
See Bruce's blog for some interesting research: blog

Research direct link.

Looks very promising to me.

Does anyone have insight into FDA approval for the microRNA process? Is there an umbrella approval for the virus and its payload? Or?

Any microRNA based treatment that has been approved already?

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi Bob,
As far as I know, there is not any miRNA-based therapy approved yet. I don't know one in the clinical phase. There are still a lot of questions to answer first.
However, in August 2018, FDA approved the first-ever siRNA-based therapy, patisiran. siRNAs resemble miRNAs, as both interferes with RNAs. This product treats a rare genetic neurological disorder, not KD (https://www.alzforum.org/news/research-news/fda-approves-first-rnai-therapy).
Unfortunately, it costs a fortune, $450,000, yearly.
There is another RNA-targeting therapy against SMA (spinal muscular atrophy - not KD), nusinersen, approved. Quite the same price.
Best regards,
István Reinhardt