Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Food and Nutrition    Testosterone Lowering Diet or Lifestyle

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Testosterone Lowering Diet or Lifestyle
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
After reading some of the latest mice studies, it appears that lowering levels of testosterone might be beneficial. Has anyone tried a diet/lifestyle in line with this? I did some information gathering, and here's what I found:

"One of the most interesting advances in SBMA research has been the creation of mouse models that recapitulate the key features of SBMA progression in men. Lowering testosterone levels in affected transgenic male mice rescued, and even reversed the polyglutamine-induced neuromuscular phenotype, indicating that manipulating androgen levels in men could be of therapeutic benefit." (from Progress in Spinobulbar muscular atrophy research: insights into neuronal dysfunction caused by the polyglutamine-expanded androgen receptor. Beitel LK, Scanlon T, Gottlieb B, Trifiro MA.)

How to Lower Testosterone Levels (my paraphrasing from various online sources):

1. Eat less red meat and fewer dairy products, which contribute to testosterone production, and eat more fish and vegetables. Reduce fat intake and eat more fiber.

2. Drink alcohol. Moderate consumption of red wine inhibits testosterone production. One or two glasses per day are within the safe range.

3. Get married or become involved in a long-term, monogamous relationship. Studies show married men and males in stable relationships have lower testosterone levels and fewer health problems overall than single men.

Other things that have been found to lower testosterone are eating soy, exercising more, and smoking. I don't advocate these because (a) soy has estrogen enhancing effects, (b) no one knows how much one has to increase (and perhaps dangerously so) exercise to get the effect, and (c) smoking is obviously bad.

Has anyone tried any of the three things in the list? What do you all think of this?
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Thanks for your comments. Lenore Beitel will be a guest on the KDA chat room Saturday, May 1, 2010. You should join us and see what she has to say.

The clinical trial using chemical castration did not show any positive impact. That being said, you comments on eating better and exercising (correctly) is right on in my opinion. Fiber, vegetables, fish, and soy are all positive steps.

My wife went macrobiotic several years ago (all fresh products prepared for the meal you are eating). I supported her efforts by eating that way also (when I was at home anyway). I felt better and had more energy. My discipline and love for hamburgers and ice cream are my downfall. As I mentioned in my "Living wit Kennedy's Disease" blog, once I had a Steak and Shake, it was hard to ever pass by the place again without stopping. Smiler