Kennedys Disease Community
Vitamin D Supplement

This topic can be found at:
https://kennedysdisease.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3351008121/m/686109094

11-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Bob Heitzman
Vitamin D Supplement
I've been reviewing my supplement/vitamin mix and noticed D is showing up in a lot of other products.

My doc(s) suggested bone scans years ago and I put it off - wasn't interested in the high powered scanners that they wanted to bill my insurance company for. A month ago I ran across a local company that does screening tests of all kinds out and about in the community - basically just processional administered how test for a lot of stuff - all cheaper than my co-pay for a "real" test. They had a sonic bone density tester so I bought the $35 procedure. Looking for the device on the net it seems like a good and accurate tool to use for screening, which I consider good enough.

Any way - the result was I definitely had bone density problems in the foot/ankle that was tested. I'd guess the higher end procedure tests more of your body but I don't really need to know more. I went on a high quality plant calcium (NewChapter) that contains D3 and K ~ $1 a day. The D3 dose was almost the amount of my doc recommended to address low-D on my last blood tests. (I don't think D is usually tested for but my doc really likes test!)

The point being you need to survey what you are taking an add up the ones that overlap.

I would also guess that KD'ers need to keep a watch on bone density especially once you no longer walk as much as normal. Just adding D may be enough for prevention, but I'd also guess supplements would be a good idea to head of needed the prescription stuff once a decline is noted.

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
11-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Bruce
Bob is right. I have osteoporosis in the left lower fibula and ankle area. Exercise focused on that area ... especially weight bearing ones ... will help. Discuss options with your doctor. Be careful of drug treatments that are designed to improve bone density. Research them well before agreeing to move forward and discuss alternatives with your doctor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,
12-04-2012, 09:45 AM
AllanR
A good and lively discussion group on osteoporosis, osteopenia, vitamin D and other related topics is sponsored by National Osteoporosis Foundation (nof.org) at www.inspire.com.
01-14-2013, 02:42 PM
BC Paul
I too had/have a very low level of Vitamin D(39); when researching this, I came across this study, the discussion and conclusion are worth reading {http://www.pulsus.com/journals/pdf_frameset.jsp?jnlKy=4&atlKy=8901&isArt=t&jnlAdvert=Home&adverifHCTp=_NP&sTitle=Vitamin%20D%20deficiency%20and%20chronic%20lung%20disease,%20Pulsus%20Group%20Inc&HCtype=Consumer
02-27-2013, 04:29 AM
fejaa
Vitamin D is a group of fat - soluble secostreroids responsible for intestinal absorption of calcium and phosphate . In humans vitamin D is unique because it can be ingested vitamin D3 and vitamin D2.

04-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Daniel10Wilson
With visibility to sunshine within the the summer months, your body can generate as much as 20,000iu of vitamin D every hr without sick effects. In addition, virtually no adverse effects have been observed with supplemental supplement D intakes to as much as 10,000 IU daily so always take the supplement D by way of a fat-containing meal to ensure consumption.

01-28-2014, 12:26 PM
pioneer07
Vitamin D is needed for the regulation of the minerals calcium and phosphorus found in the form. It likewise assumes an essential part in looking after fitting skeletal substance structure.