Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quinine Sulphate.
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
When I was first diagnosed with KD I was prescribed Quinine Sulphate to relieve leg cramps. It didnt help me and left me with Tinnitus. I was told the Tinnitus would go but it hasnt. Its six months now and I have to wear a white noise generator to try and overpower the noises and constant whooshing. No matter what drugs you are prescribed make sure you are aware of the side affects.
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Eric, good advice. Read everything on the disclosure sheet and ask plenty of questions of your doctor and pharmacist.

I was prescribed the same thing many years ago and it didn't work for me either. Yet, others swear by it.
Hi everyone. I take a Quinine tablet before bed each night. I feel sure that it relaxes my legs as I try to sleep. In the evening whilst watching TV, I cannot keep my legs / feet still, after the tablet my legs seem to relax. As Bruce said, it seems to help some but not others.
Graham.
It may interest you to know that the U.S. FDA has banned the use of quinine for leg cramps, on the grounds that it is unsafe and ineffective. Quinine is still available as a prescription drug in the U.S., but it is approved only for malaria, and for that as a second-line therapy after newer drugs have failed in a particular patient.

Following are some links about the FDA ban of quinine:
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/D...dDrugs/ucm119653.pdf
http://www.webmd.com/pain-mana...e-quinine-leg-cramps
http://news.consumerreports.or...mps-drug-safety.html

I get some relief from cramps by the following non-drug approach:
  • Absolutely avoid foods high in sodium. As an experiment, I have found I can bring on a "cramp attack" within 20 minutes by eating a handful of salty pretzels. Keep in mind all prepared foods, such as canned soups and frozen dinners, are very high in sodium.
  • Eat a high-choline food item three times a week (refer to the thread "Foods high in choline" on this forum for details).
  • Gently exercise the affected area (for me, the legs) three times per week.
  • Gently stretch the affected area daily before bed.
It may seem like a lot to do, but it's not as bad as it sounds, as the dietary changes become habit, and the stretching can be done while watching TV or integrated into your bedtime routine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan B,
Hi Dan. I also discovered this info after the Tinnitus started. I still have it to this day. Before taking Qinine I had no hearing or tinnitus problems. It started after about a week of taking Quinine. I did the research and phoned my Chemist. He said stop using them immediately.I now wear a white noise generator in my ear to try and make my brain forget the tinnitus noise. It may or may not work. Sudden noises now make me jump feet as we say over here. The constant ringing is horrendous at times. The thing is when I tell Medical profesionals about Quinine they say, well its widely used in this country for numerous conditions. Huh... With no warnings or stats.
Hmmmm!
Best wishes Dan.
There is a new drug under development for tinnitus, details follow:
quote:

Meanwhile, topline results from the phase III TACTT2 trial of Auris Medical’s (NASDAQ:EARS) tinnitus candidate AM-101 are expected in August. A European trial is also due to report before the end of the year. These could put it on track to become the first drug approved for the acute form of the disease, though earlier clinical data were mixed.

The co-primary endpoints in Auris's phase III TACTT2 trial are change in tinnitus loudness and the tinnitus functional index score, which measures tinnitus impact and burden, from baseline to day 84.

AM-101, also known as Keyzilen, is an NMDA receptor antagonist designed to suppress aberrant excitation of the auditory nerve that is thought to underlie the development of tinnitus.

There are no treatments approved for the disorder, but commonly used agents include oral corticosteroids, ginkgo biloba and benzodiazepines, as is masking by another stimulus. 84% of US ear, nose and throat physicians are dissatisfied with these, according to LifeSci Capital analysts.

If AM-101 succeeds it will hit a market ripe for disruption. But the signals so far have been mixed: a phase II trial failed to show a treatment benefit on its primary endpoint of minimal masking level – the lowest level at which the tinnitus can be masked by a stimulus – although it did hit other endpoints including tinnitus loudness (Upcoming events: MEI’s HDAC inhibitor data and futility from Auris in tinnitus, March 6, 2015).

AM-101 is also in a European trial, TACTT3, expected to report results in the fourth quarter. This has a similar design to TACTT2, but includes a second cohort evaluating patients with post-acute tinnitus between three and 12 months from onset.

Auris will likely wait until the TACTT3 data are available before filing the project with the FDA, Leerink analysts believe. They give it a 60% chance of success and put peak risk-adjusted sales at $350m.

LifeSci Capital analysts are more optimistic, saying the potential US market size for AM-101 is up to $630m. The acute form of the disease affects around 500,000 people in the US. The analysts note that the volume of patients could increase if an effective treatment becomes available.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan B,
Many thanks for the info Dan.
Hi eric, I'm back, (for a bit) thought you might lie this, The Four Different Types of Tinnitus:
Subjective tinnitus: The most common form of tinnitus. Subjective symptoms can only be heard by the affected individual are usually caused by exposure to excessive noise. This type of tinnitus can appear and disappear suddenly, and may last 3–12 months at a time. In some severe cases, it may never stop.
Neurological tinnitus: Usually caused by a disorder, such as Meniere’s disease, that primarily affects the brain’s auditory functions.
Somatic tinnitus: Related to the sensory system. This form is caused, worsened, or otherwise related to the sensory system.
Objective tinnitus: A rare form of tinnitus that may be caused by involuntary muscle contractions or vascular deformities. When the cause is treated, the tinnitus usually stops entirely. This is the only form of tinnitus that can be heard by an outside observer, and the only type that has the potential for a permanent fix.

beyond that, there is this link to tinnitus and the vagal nerve
http://www.deephouseamsterdam....n-stopping-tinnitus/
Bare in mind that Vagal nerve stimulation can also cause or be used to control some forms of Larynospasm
Many thanks for the info Dan. I live in hope that someday there will be some relief. The tinnitus I have is now a constant. The white noise generator I wore for a year did not help at all. As a point of interest I have recently had several serious Laryngospasm episodes requiring emergency medical treatment. I have been prescribed Midazolam which is normally used for severe Epilepsy Seizure. The irony is that Midazolam can cause a Laryngo episode.
The mind boggles as we say over here.

Best wishes to you Dan.

Eric
Hi Eric
Sorry to hear of your laryngospasm issues, something I experience as well. I have not heard of it requiring medical treatment. Can you explain your experience?