Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mobility/Guide Dogs
 Login/Join

<Bob>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Has anyone considered a dog? Since we both fall so much, we were wondering if getting a mobility/guide dog would help us or not, like be aware of the fall and help before we fall?
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Bob, I am not sure. Those dogs that are especially trained to help are fantastic. There are so many things they can do (turn lights on and off, open doors, pick up dropped items, etc.).
<Bob>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
There is a Golden Retriever "rescue" here that you buy a pup and train it yourself. Costs less than half of a dog already trained, but still more than we can afford.
Bob, if you are just looking for a dog to train yourself, the local humane societies such as the SPCA generally have adult dogs available for a small fee. Sometimes they just ask for a donation.
This topic is very old but for all those who might look for dog help let me tell you those dogs are well trained and can help a lot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,
Quest Magazine had an article on this topic in the Jan issue - didn't think training by owners would be that successful.Jan

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
In all what manner and ways these dogs can help us???
Is this previous post a scam??? Couldn't find anything related between dogs and perfumes.
Picture of Lolo
The dog itself would be affordable, it is the self training that costs a lot. The rescue group that trains costs anywhere from $5,000+ which we just couldn't afford. Wonder why dogs aren't covered at all by insurance as it would make anyone with a problem more independent.
Picture of jameson411
Insurance for help dogs has probably been considered. But that would open up the door to many extraneous costs such as vet bills, dog food, etc. I bet that plays a role...