Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Carrier Discussion    Hypogonadism in female carriers

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hypogonadism in female carriers
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I assume this is quite a complex issue so i understand if nobody of you can put some light on this.

I am a carrier and having excluded all other possible diagnostics i am wondering if any of the fellow carriers in here have experienced long periods of amenorrhea (i've been about a year without my periods). I am a young woman and have not any other health issues apart from being a KD carrier. I have been done lots of blood test and in all of them turned out that my FSH and LH levels are bellow normal ranges (which in medical terminology is called as hypogonadism). Providing that KD is associated with infertility, does anyone know if is it possible for a carrier to suffer from female hipogonadism?
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
HI Maria,

I contacted one of the neurologists who knows about KD and he indicated that he has not seen or heard of any carriers expressing these issues. While it is possible that KD could be the cause, he thought it wise to examine (rule out) other causes. I wish there could be a more definitive answer.
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hello again and many thanks for you help Ed. I'm still suffering from the same issue and nobody knows why i'm going through this. All other possible causes are excluded, apart from stress..but i'm seriouly thinking KD might have something to do with this. At this point and providing that any of the carriers i've heard of have experienced the same issue i might be the first one. I'll update you all with this, but i'm really scared!