Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phsing Attack via Forum Mail
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I received a phising attempt via forum private mail today.

DO NOT follow any links in the phising messages!

It may just have been me. I received a message designed to make me follow a link to learn more - the typical phsing "hook."

Let's be careful out there!

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Bob, thanks for your message. At least two others received this also. I have asked Terry to look into it and ban the user from our forum. In the meantime, as Bob said, be careful.
Picture of KDA Adminstrator
Hello Everyone, Early this morning someone registered for the forums with the ID faithwealth and began a private messaging Phishing venture towards other KDA forum members. We were alerted of this by e-mail from our forum members and have removed the user from the forums. If you received one of the messages, DO NOT follow the link that they provide you. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Please alert us when you see this happen so we can take prompt action. Thank you all for your understanding.
Just got another one. Be careful everyone.
I just got an email at my main address. Here's the content:
fromfavour arisa <favourarisa@att.net>
reply-tofavourarisa@hotmail.com

to
dateThu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:47 AM
signed-byatt.net

hide details 10:47 AM (5 hours ago)

Hello Dear
My Name is favour i saw your contact at this site:
(www.kennedysdisease.org),and i love your profile on it, i think we can
know each other and build a relationship from there,so please write me
back through my email address for more detail about me and my picture as well,
remember that Love is the most important in life.thank and god bless you
please am waiting for your lovely reply soon.
thanks yours
favour

I'm not sure if it's just me receiving these spams... Is it possible to actually view my profile thru the KDA website???
As a followup to my previous post, immediately after receiving the spam, I also received another email telling me that someone was going to be sending me $6000.00 every day until a total of $1.5m was reached. It must be my lucky day!!!!

After I receive this large amount of money, I promise to donate it all to the KDA...

I'm just mentioning this because it's odd that the emails came almost together and obviously have SCAM written all over it!!!
loshimo11,

That's the same email I got that I mentioned earlier. It appears the individual is getting our email addresses from the KD Contacts list on this web site.
The last time I googled my full name, I remember seeing entries made by me during the KDA chats. I thought it was unusual and bordering in privacy exposure.

I was going to mention it in one of the chats but completely forgot about it. Perhaps this is where this person is getting some of the information.

Is anyone else a bit uncomfortable having this type of info available to everyone? Is there any way to either filter or just prevent this type of detail from being displayed?
Picture of Bruce
I can understand your frustrations.

As discussed in yesterday's chat room, (1) if you ever enter your full name in a chat it can be harvested by some 'bot' from the chat archives. (2) Also, if you have entered your story or are a contact, your email address is shown and can also be harvested. (3) And, if you leave your email address in one of the posts in this forum, it can also be harvested by SPAM'ers. Fortunately, this does not happen often and is only the second time something like this has happened (that I know of).

In the new KDA website no email addresses will be shown. We hope to have it ready for early February publishing.

If you do receive SPAM from a harvested email address, block the sender in your email 'black list'.