Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fertility
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
So I've been a long time visitor of this site but I never posted before. I'm 35 and I was diagnosed with Kennedy's Disease in 2008.

About a year ago, I got married and I remember my doctor (I believe it was Dr. Taylor) telling me that I would have a low sperm count as a result of this disease. I didn't really pay attention since I didn't have a girlfriend at the time and I was more in shock about having KD. Anyway, now that I'm a married man, my wife and I are thinking about having. I'm just worried and I wanted to know, will it be impossible/not possible to get my wife pregnant because of KD? Any advice would be great. Thanks.
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Generally, I think you will find that most of the men with KD are fertile and have children - I have two children. My non-professional advice would be not to worry. If you are really concerned, you can have a sperm count done by your doctor. I would also suggest that you may wish to see a genetic counselor so that you might better understand the inheritance of the KD allele. The bottom line is if only the man carries the KD allele, then none of your sons will have KD and all of your daughters will be carriers. A counselor will be able to explain the consequences of this.
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi MrEspiritu

My first born (daughter) was when I was 20 years old and was completely unexpected and without medical assistance. The second (son) wasn't until I was 37, after my wife and I went through 5 IVF cycles, over an 8 years period. I was told I had an average count but poor motility. After having my Daughter and completly unaware of KD at the time it didn't make much sense. It all became clear of course after getting diagnosed with KD this year (I'm now 38). For the record, unfortunately, my yonger brother is in the same boat as me!

I hate to be negative but I think it's good for us all to share our experiences if it helps people understand.

I'm no expert and from what I have read KD affects people in different ways, at different ages. So I guess try and stay possitive until you have had tests.

All the best to you and your wife