Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Statin
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hello All.

I know statin has adverse effects on SBMA in general. just wondering how we can control the cardiovascular disease without it. As you know the statins is most common preventive prescription on any heart disease but not good for SBMA patients due to the side effect. I had a little issue with atorvastatin before. I know there are some other types of statin (e.g. simvastatin, pravastatin, etc) and might be less on the side effect. do you have any idea on this?
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Niacin or vitamin B3 works for me. Some flash at first, but it goes away. Lipid clinic worked through to this. Also inexpensive.
Hi Kyle
I took Lipitor to lower my Cholestrerol value many year ago but doctor stopped me to take it because I felt nuscle so pain. Now, I have taken 40 mg simvastain per day to keep the normal Chol value for 3 year more. So far, there is no ill effect on muscle and liver function. I hope it can help..
Picture of Dave Y
I have been taking cholesterol related drugs for many years and had significant muscle pain (shoulders and hips) with every statin related drug my doctor suggested. It was only after my KD diagnosis that I finally had enough information support my decision to stop taking statins and accept the elevated cholesterol risks in exchange an ability to increase my daily smart exercise activity with no pain.
A couple of years ago my doctor suggested a drug called Welchol; I take one 625 mg tablet daily and have had no muscle pain and an improvement in cholesterol levels.