Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Accesibility    Question about house modifications for accessibility

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about house modifications for accessibility
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I'm getting ready to make some changes to my house, and I'm looking for info about how to make the house more accessible. I found some good ideas on this forum, such as 36-inch-wide doors. So, what house changes have worked well for you?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Dan, you ask a good question. Since I don't know your current capabilities, I can't respond to all your potential needs. Do you use a wheelchair or scooter? Are you getting close to considering it?

Door sills can be a hazard over time and also an obstruction for some wheelchairs. I had a carpenter build slight wedge-type ramps (approx 6" wide) at each entrance point.

Ramps need to be functional today, but also consider what you will need in 3-5 years. I felt it was important to have two viable exits for me in case one exit was blocked because of fire or an obstruction.

Toilets - you can have a higher toilet installed and even can have a 2" or more spacer added between the toilet and the floor.

Double handrails on any stairs or ramps are very important.

I had platforms build that raise the chairs I use in the house. This allows me to get out of them without too much of a struggle.