Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Accesibility    Grab Bars for Shower or Bath

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grab Bars for Shower or Bath
 Login/Join

Picture of Bruce
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I installed two removable grab bars in my shower. These were recommended by my local medical equipment supplier. These grab bars are very sturdy, easy to install, and removable if I am traveling. I have used them over the last month or so and found them to be a great addition. I feel much more secure when entering and exiting as well as when showering. I will attempt to add two pictures so you can get an idea of what they look like.

The bars are supplied through Rose Medical Equipment Supply in Brunswick, GA. My local supplier, Eddie Test Medical Equipment in Ringgold, GA offered to order them for anyone wishing to buy them. The price is $17.00 per bar plus shipping (approximately $4-8.00 depending upon the quantity). If you cannot purchase them locally and want my supplier to order them for you, let me know. My email address is: bgaughr@yahoo.com

Picture of installed bar
Picture of KDA Adminstrator
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
How do they attach? with suction?

Yours look much nicer than the aluminum or plain old white pipe type.
Picture of Bruce
Terry, the have two clips ... one on each end ... and have suction cups. When you push the clips flat, you can't budge the bars. If you travel, you can remove the bars and take them with you. I have put at least 40# or more pressure on the two and they don't move.
Picture of Bruce
Follow-up: I have been using the grab bars for several months and find them quite helpful. They provide a sense of security that has been missing.

Murray also uses them and has found them very helpful.
I would think re-seating these once in a while would be a good idea if you have them installed in a "permanent" location - the vacuum may not last forever. I think these are really designed for travel where you reseat them often. Better to replace them with fixed versions once you determine the proper position (not always possible I know).

Another useful solution for placing "grab bars" where you need them is the Super Pole.
http://www.google.com/search?q=super+pole

The Super Pole installs using tension between the floor and ceiling - it does not need to be mounted with screws.

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail