Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Accesibility    It's a scooter, no it's a chair, no ...

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's a scooter, no it's a chair, no ...
 Login/Join

Picture of Bruce
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I received the following email today. The eFoldi is an interesting adaption of the carry-on luggage. The video on the Home page shows how versatile the product is. I was amazed at the speed and distance available and how lightweight it was.

My thanks to Chris for letting me know about this.

quote:
Hi Bruce, as a fellow Kennedy's Diseaser I wanted to share this with you. I came across it quite by accident as a former co-worker who lives in the UK was in this competition to win backing for his product from David Branson, the Virgin CEO. I thought you may want to share it on the Living with Kennedy's site.

http://www.efoldi.co.uk/home/

Pretty interesting.

By the way, thank you for all of your updates. I have two younger brothers with KD and we all pray for a cure.
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Check out this one: KD Smart Chair

Chair vs. three wheeler.

Folds, 50 lbs, has "airline baggage" wheeled suitcase option.

Problem with both, for KD'ers, will be dismounts. KD chair seat height is a 19" which is about 8" below my minimum for getting up with only moderate help or a lot to hang on to.

Should work fine for early stages where we can use a class 1 or 2 power mobility device (Jazzy etc.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Heitzman,

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
Picture of Bruce
Bob, the seat height was the first thought I had. In the later stages, it wouldn't be much good for most of us. But, both scooters might be functional in the earlier stages when standing from a low chair isn't a problem.

The best advice I was ever given was "try before you buy."

I have four other pieces of advice from my personal experiences. (1) You need something that will work for you today as well as 2-3 years from now. (2) Know the intended use of the mobility device before looking around. (3) Look at used equipment as well as new. Refurbished devices with a warranty are often a great buy. (4) Check into what you need to easily transport the device.

I bought my first scooter to help me get around when I was tired or had to walk long distances. I thought it would propel me easily along handicap accessible trails. It didn't. The wheels were too small and the ground clearance wasn't high enough for gravel or a bumpy terrain. Also, I steep hills, the motor braking system wore down quickly (repair costs).

I also thought I could buy a ramp and drive it into my van. Nope, I had to buy a lift arm for the rear of the van. The scooter was fairly heavy (well-built) and not easy to manipulate if I became stuck, hung up or in a tight area.

If I were to do it all over, I would buy a good quality used electric chair. I would still need the lift or a ramp, but it would have better served the intended purpose at the time.
Picture of ToddAllen
That was interesting, more morphable than I imagined possible.

My experience though is that you never get something for nothing. Each joint either costs in weight or costs in a loss of stiffness and or strength. And odds are high that each morphable form has some compromises to allow the folds into other forms. Likely resulting in something that is ok as a scooter, chair or luggage but not excellent at anything.

I agree with Bruce, it is important that we find something that best meets our needs today and going forward a few years. It is hard for us to envision what we'll need farther out as our needs change.
I saw one of these at a local Folk Festival this summer. It was being used by the chief of security on grassy uneven terrain and trails, lasting all day on a single charge. ordinary chair too
http://newatlas.com/rio-mobili...chair-scooter/32825/
Air-Hawk looks like a new (to me at least) entry in the "transportable" powerchairs.

I think it has a fatal flaw however, it doesn't look like the footrest can be moved out of the way. Not sure how one gets up if they have to place their feet way out in front of their CG. The manual shows a side exit technique.

For SBMA folks an additional problem is the low seat height. Not a great choice IMO but another option.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Heitzman,

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail