Kennedys Disease Community
Shoes and cramps

This topic can be found at:
https://kennedysdisease.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5851008121/m/222108045

10-05-2010, 05:59 PM
DenisL
Shoes and cramps
I wanted to pass on an experience I have had with wearing a new type of shoe. I purchased these shoes 12 months ago before an overseas trip. These shoes are marketed in Australia as MBT Shoes (the anti-shoe). The sole of these shoes are rounded and initially you feel like you are walking on 2 balls and it takes a while to get used to. Initially I made sure I had my walking stick with me in case I lost my balance. Within a couple of days I was more confident with them and although I kept my stick with me I didn't need to use it anymore than with my normal shoes.

Now the benefits of these to me were:
- Less cramp. Previously after a fair amount of walking during the day I could guarantee a bout or 2 of cramp during that night. When wearing these shoes my cramp sessions have disappeared.

- Less fatigue. Although I still need to rest regularly I can stay on my feet for much longer and my legs do not tire as quickly. This is particularly noticeable when standing or walking on a hard surface such as concrete or pavements.

- More comfort. These shoes are incredibly comfortable.

These shoes are quite expensive, but I would recommend the investment. After a year they show no signs of wear with stitching all intact.

They may not suit all people but my experience has been very positive. Hopefully they are available world-wide

DenisL
10-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Bruce
quote:
MBT Shoes

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I went on line and found the following information that others might find useful.

Do MBT Shoes Really Work

MBT - THe Anti-Shoe

MBT Clearance Sale

Unfortunately, I do not walk enough any more to even wear out a pair of tennis shoes, but others still walking regularly might find them helpful.

Thanks again for sharing.
10-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Lolo
I bought shoes similar to these on Ebay for as a daily deal for just $39.99 and free shipping.

My question would be, do you have a dropped foot or feet? I think my spouse might trip wearing these shoes?

God is the greatest physician of all.
10-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Bruce
Lois, the medical issue you mentioned is caused by weakness in the calf, ankle and foot muscles. We have some control (to a degree anyway) over that by exercising those muscles regularly. A physical therapist can teach your husband the proper exercises and there are also some quality AFO devices that keep the toes/foot from dropping.
10-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Lolo
His left foot dropped before he got his diagnosis. He does have AFO's but won't wear them as he says they are too uncomfortable. I doubt they would fit now anyway as he has lost so much "girth" in his leg muscles. Bob falls a lot but has learned how to roll. I noticed this past week that his ankle is REALLY turned in, more than it used to be. Flat feet, turned ankles and drop foot. All a recipe to fall.

10-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Bruce
Lois, consider having Bob see a physical therapist. It was the best move I ever made (my doctor recommended it). It is over three years since I started my current program (see Smart Exercise Guide on the KDA website or my blog). I am stronger today than I was three years ago. I exercise every day ... every other day for 60-80 minutes and the easy days are 15-20 minutes.
10-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Lolo
I'll tell him. We really don't have the funds to go to therapy, we'll see. Bob moves everyday by doing yard work, walking in a store, something. He seems yo never sit still. He is convinced he isn't in a chair permanently because of his activity and I agree. Can you do too much activity with KD? I am always worried he does too much!

10-17-2010, 07:01 AM
DenisL
I notice that Lois has posted that she bought a pair for $39. After reading some of Bruce's info addresses I wonder whether they would be the genuine article. I seems to be far too cheap, as the best deal on available normally is around $120 on special. The rec. retail for my shoes was around $350.

DenisL
10-17-2010, 01:12 PM
<Bob>
Mine probably are not name brand but they look the same. Mine are comfortable and seem well made.
I just found sketchers on Ebay this morning for $39.99.