Kennedys Disease Community
Toilets

This topic can be found at:
https://kennedysdisease.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5851008121/m/4441018361

04-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Murray Williams
Toilets
Has any one had any experience with raised toilets? There are three things we can do:
1) Raise the base of the toilet http://www.affordableoption.com/toilevator.html 2) install a raised seat
http://www.medicalproductsdirect.com/raistoilseat.html
3) Buy a new (comfort Height) toilet
All three of these are available to be purchased online from $22 to over $500. Does anyone have advice or experience to share?
04-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Bob Heitzman
#2 drawback is that it is hard to keep clean - ok I suppose if someone else is doing the work! It is the most practical if you don't have much control over the fixtures. I use one at home of the type that is attached via the screw mounts for the toilet seat. Since I use the seat as a push up point it has to be very secure. I doubt a set on top model would work for me today.

#3 - Won't provide enough height at some point and will need another solution. There are seats that use standoffs that can be added to a toilet. #1 is a variation on this one. I suppose you could combine 1 and 2 but then the toilet would most likely be to high. #3 has been working for me at the office along with a well positioned grab bar. The office is adding a seat with standoffs that raise the seat 1 1/2 - 2 1/2" above normal as I'm being challenged by the current seat.

I haven't tried this yet but a typical commode chair may work OK. Would have to shop a bit to test and make sure it didn't have to be moved to use the toilet while standing. I'm not sure it would work for me because most of my standing is done with offset support. The symmetrical side handles don't look like they would work for me unless the chair was pretty high - probably 20-22" for me (5'10" 230lbs). I can get out of a 22" office chair if it is backed up against something solid.

http://www.up-lift.com/ has an interesting solution but it would have to be moved to use the toilet while standing - not a great idea if there isn't anyone to help.

Another option - believe it or not - take your shoes off! Only works if you are wearing shoes of course, but it is amazing the difference even 1/2" makes when things get marginal. Doesn’t always work - I accidentally sat on a standard height toilet at a local County facility. It was in a "handicapped" stall and had all the bars. Couldn't get up, even without shoes. Called out to next person that came in, turned out to be a Sheriff. He helped me. What followed shortly was a $50,000 remodel of the facility bathrooms! The area has been plagued by a drive-by lawsuit parasite so they were a bit worried.

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
04-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Bruce
Three years ago I had a handicapped height commode installed. It did only add 2". Over time it just wasn't high enough. I then added a 'Tallette' plastic extension that raised it another 4". This has done the trick. The brackets attach to the seat screws (I didn have to remove the original seat). It is fairly easy to keep clean. I can stand up pretty easily by pushing off on the extension and the back of the toilette. When I had the broken leg that I couldn't put any weight on, this solution was close to perfect because the height of the john was the same height as the wheelchair.

I too have had problems with some handicapped stalls (not being high enough to gain enough leverage to stand). I normally travel with a 'Tallette' in the back of the van just in case I find myself in a position where the height is too low.

I would be interested in other solutions.
03-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Bob Heitzman
I used a standard commode chair of the toilet for quite a while. Eventually had to place spacers under the legs because I was having problems getting up from the chair. When I did that my feet didn't reach the floor so I added a foot rest like you stick under an office desk. Pretty marginal at that point.

I recently went for the Stand-Aid link which is basically a toilet seat on a lift. As usual a $1000+ item, but if it keeps me independent a month longer it paid for itself. I miss the broad seat on the commode chair. A standard toilet seat is uncomfortable with my boney butt. Big benefit is that it allows me to get much lower which helps with the BMs. And of course getting up is easy! Minor problems with decorative backing (I removed it) and keeping the seat up for other business - a bungee chord fixed that. Still search for the perfect toilet seat!

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
11-16-2009, 12:12 PM
DLCampbell
I have tried several different seat risers addons and handle bars. They are hard to keep clean and the arms either rust or are in the way for people trying to move around the bathroom.
A few months ago I was searching the Web and came across a lift toilet designed to work like a lift recliner. It is made by Phillips Lift Systems www.phillipsliftsystems.com/ It is very expensive ($999.00), but to me is worth every penny. It is easy to keep clean and can be easily removed (mounted with two bolts like a normal seat) and used in another location if I move.