Kennedys Disease Community
Burning pain in heels while sleeping

This topic can be found at:
https://kennedysdisease.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8581031121/m/3287007666

01-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Mike Murphy
Burning pain in heels while sleeping
Recently (the last two nights) I've experienced a burning aching sensation in one or both heels (noticeably enough to wake me up). It came and went throughout the night. Gently kneading my heel(s) seemed to help. I assume it's neuropathically related - just another wonderful KD affectation? Anybody else experiencing this?
01-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Dan B
Hi Mike,

I haven't experienced the heel ache you describe. I have had a neuropathic tingling sensation (like pins and needles) in my feet at night.

There is a medication called gabapentin that is used for neuropathic pain. It might be worthwhile talking to your doctor about whether that's appropriate for you.
01-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Bruce
Mike, I have experienced this also. My doctor said it was a form of neuropathy. He commented that if it ever got to a point where I could not sleep because of it, there is a medication that might help (see Dan's comment above).

For now I find it controllable. I placed a small soft pillow under my knee, calf and heel and it corrected the problem. I now use it every night. Give it a try and see if it helps. If not, talk with your doctor about a possible treatment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,
01-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Mike Murphy
Thanks Bruce (and Dan). Fortunately it has only happened a couple of times and not in the last week or so. I'll try the pillow. Smiler
01-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Bruce
Mike, the pain showed up for me about three years ago. I tried massage, but that didn't seem to help. The soft pillow made all the difference and for the last two years I haven't experienced any pain in the heel. Good luck!