Kennedys Disease Community
Sleep apnea - Bi-Pap machine

This topic can be found at:
https://kennedysdisease.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8581031121/m/4017071886

10-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Cam
Sleep apnea - Bi-Pap machine
I’ve been trying to minimize my constant fatigue for a long time, and came to sleep apnea. I have none of the normal risk factors, and don’t snore, but when tested, was evaluated as having moderate sleep apnea (breathing interrupted 15 - 30 times per hour), and fitted with a Bi-Pap breathing machine. (The constant pressure of a C-Pap made exhaling difficult). The device seems invasive and was difficult to adapt to, however, I seem to have finally adapted, and it’s starting to make a difference. My sleep apnea was most evident during REM sleep, when your body naturally immobilzes itself to prevent acting out dreams, and my blood oxygen would drop. I’m dreaming again, for the first time in a very long time, which suggests my REM sleep has improved. I’m also sleeping much more continuously, waking fewer times during the night. My overall fatigue level is somewhat lower, certainly not eliminated, but lower. Overall, the benefits certainly outweigh the difficulties. I would encourage anyone with KD to get tested for sleep apnea, as it seems endemic to the disease.