Kennedys Disease Community
Prenatal Thalidomide Exposure and SBMA

This topic can be found at:
https://kennedysdisease.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8581031121/m/640100423

12-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Pocatello Jim
Prenatal Thalidomide Exposure and SBMA
I know that this is a discussion to have with my neurologist, but also wanted to post this question here. I learned this week that my mother used thalidomide to control morning sickness during her pregnancy with me. I was not born with any of the birth defects associated with thalidomide babies. But I did find a British study of people with epilepsy who had been exposed to Thalidomide in the womb and there was a correlation between thalidomide exposure and the severity of epilepsy symptoms.

I am wondering then if there may be a similar correlation between SBMA progression and in utero Thalidomide exposure?

I am still trying to figure out why my progression has been so fast. My neurologist said my CAG repeats were not that long, so that is not it. Anyway, I know in the end, why does not matter, but from time to time, I still ask.

Pocatello Jim
12-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Bruce
Jim, I will ask a member of our SRB to respond to your question.

Merry Christmas
12-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Bruce
Jim, here is the response from Dr. Taylor:

"I am unaware of any connection and find it difficult to imagine a theoretical connection, but cannot rule it out either. I'd be interested in knowing the repeat length and the clinical history if Mr. Pocatello is inclined. Paul"