Kennedys Disease Community
Cold Climate Challenges

This topic can be found at:
https://kennedysdisease.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8581031121/m/9457014996

10-09-2022, 05:17 PM
Kevin W
Cold Climate Challenges
Was wondering how cold climate may be affecting KD symptoms. I'm considering relocating the the northern midwest.

Currently not using any aids but have some challenges standing for a long time. Walking is generally stable but need to walk with caution and purpose.

Thanks
Kevin
10-24-2022, 08:12 PM
Ben
Hi Kevin,

FWIW:

I'm currently in the northeast and am moving to avoid being in such a cold climate. For me the cold is extremely debilitating and I have serious problems being in even moderately cold (sub 45 degree) weather. When my muscles get cold it severely impacts my strength and mobility. That being said I know a lot kd guys live in cold climates and do just fine, I've just been hating having to stay indoors for much of the colder months.

You could also try asking around on the kd facebook page - its generally more active than the forum.

Best of luck!!
10-27-2022, 12:14 PM
Ronald M.
Hello. Its so hard to comment on because its so individualized. I know men that live in cold climates and get by. I know men that left cold climates for a warmer climates. I am one of them. The cold crushes me. Cold weather can be hard on KD. When I lived in a cold climate I put a lot of effort into staying warm and was very concerned about the snow and ice causing me to fall. Its a lot easier for me being in a warmer climate. Although I miss family and friends that I moved from to find warmth, I felt like the move was necessary.
10-27-2022, 01:06 PM
Ben
I fully agree with you Ronald. It became a safety issue of not being able to get outside when there was snow/ice on the ground. Having to stay inside more makes me much more sedentary.
10-30-2022, 11:12 PM
Nick0651
I can say as someone from Minnesota, I have to be extra careful during the winter. Icy surfaces being a fall risk is the toughest part. As my Kennedys progresses, I start to think staying here may not be the best for me long term.
11-29-2022, 05:02 PM
Tim in TN
I'm in East TN and my muscles don't work in the cold. the colder the less they work. My wife and I are considering spending time in warmer climate for the colder months.