Kennedys Disease Community
Question about house modifications for accessibility

This topic can be found at:
https://kennedysdisease.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8741008121/m/2227004076

04-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Dan B
Question about house modifications for accessibility
I'm getting ready to make some changes to my house, and I'm looking for info about how to make the house more accessible. I found some good ideas on this forum, such as 36-inch-wide doors. So, what house changes have worked well for you?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
05-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Bruce
Dan, you ask a good question. Since I don't know your current capabilities, I can't respond to all your potential needs. Do you use a wheelchair or scooter? Are you getting close to considering it?

Door sills can be a hazard over time and also an obstruction for some wheelchairs. I had a carpenter build slight wedge-type ramps (approx 6" wide) at each entrance point.

Ramps need to be functional today, but also consider what you will need in 3-5 years. I felt it was important to have two viable exits for me in case one exit was blocked because of fire or an obstruction.

Toilets - you can have a higher toilet installed and even can have a 2" or more spacer added between the toilet and the floor.

Double handrails on any stairs or ramps are very important.

I had platforms build that raise the chairs I use in the house. This allows me to get out of them without too much of a struggle.