Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Food and Nutrition    Glutamine and Gluten-Free Diets

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glutamine and Gluten-Free Diets
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I was reading an article, which states the following:

"[Kennedy's Disease is]caused by an abnormal repeat of three nucleotides, CAG, though not in the same gene - a kind of molecular stutter that results in extra copies of the amino acid glutamine."

http://www.news-medical.net/ne...007/03/21/22633.aspx

So I wondered--could gluten be related to glutamine?

"The "gluten" in wheat, rye, barley, and in a much lower amount, oats, contains particular amino acid sequences that are harmful to persons with celiac disease. The damaging proteins are particularly rich in proline and glutamine."

http://www.csaceliacs.org/celiac_defined.php

Also, this study title indicates (as well as other research I did) that gluten can be a source of glutamine:

"Production of a high-glutamine oligopeptide fraction from gluten by enzymatic treatment and evaluation of its nutritional effect on the small intestine of rats"

In other words, I am wondering whether a gluten-free diet would be helpful to sufferers of Kennedy's Disease. Does anyone know more about what chemical pathways this excess glutamine is affecting?

I have only done a cursory check on these things, but I think it may be possible that less glutamine (from a gluten-free diet) might result in fewer abnormal CREB-binding proteins and thus fewer toxins and more VEGF (=more muscles).

Anyone have any experience with a gluten free diet or more information about this?

Thanks! Smiler
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
You raise an interesting question that I do not have an answer to. I would explore the possibilities with your neurologist.

ASC-J9 is a synthetic chemical that is loosely based upon the compounds found within curry. The KDA awarded Dr. Chang a research grant a few years ago to help him with his research. We continue to remain in touch with Dr. Chang as well as AndroScience. They are in turn also working with the NIH in hopes of moving forward with a clinical trial.

There is also some hope that IGF-1 (for muscles) might be helpful. It is our hopes that a clinical trial could be initiated within the next year to look at this possibility.