Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Social Security - Disability Guide
 Login/Join

Picture of Bruce
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I also posted this same message under Finance.

For those who are considering early retirement because of disability reasons associated with Kennedy's Disease, I wrote a guide a year ago on how to apply for Social Security-Disability benefits. Follow this link to the guide: http://www.kennedysdisease.org/disc_socialsecurity_process.html

Several Associates have used the guide to help secure their benefits and found it very helpful. If you do use it and discover that something has changed, please let me know through this forum and I will update the guide. Good Luck!
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Thank you so much for the guide. It really helped. My husband was approved in 10 weeks. The SSA agent said she wishs all of her clients were as organized and thourough. They did not have to request any further info from doctor's or labs because everything was already there. Thanks again. After hearing all the horror stories of waiting 3 yrs and going bankrupt you saved us.
Picture of Bruce
Thank you for your kind comments. I am happy it worked so well for you two. When I was preparing my application (it seems like many years ago now), a friend whose husband was a doctor schooled me on the process. It worked so well, that I thought it needed to be shared. Thanks again.
My brother-in-law is waiting for the DNA to determine if he has Kennedy's Disease or Lou Gehrig's, but the doctor feels confident it's Kennedy's and told him to begin filing for SS disability. We've printed your guide and was wanting to print an application, but can't find one. Do you know if there are any online, or do we need to go to the SS office?
Picture of Bruce
I have copied a section from the Social Security-Disability web site below. Yes, you can apply online, but I feel it is important to visit your local office and visit with an employee who knows the process. Bring your doctor's diagnosis and test results. They can help you fill out the forms and also become an advocate.

How do I apply for disability benefits?

Can I file for Disability benefits online?
Answer

You can complete some or all of the forms online or call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 to schedule an appointment and we will help you in person or by phone. You can apply for disability benefits online at www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability.
You can find the most convenient Social Security office at www.socialsecurity.gov/locator/

People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our toll-free "TTY" number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The Disability Starter Kit will help you get ready for your disability interview or help you complete the online application. Kits are available in English and Spanish for adults and for children under age 18.

The starter kit provides information about the specific documents and the information that we will request from you. We will ask for more details during the disability interview or when you complete the online Child or Adult Disability Report Form.

The kits also provide general information about the disability programs and our decision-making process that can help take some of the mystery out of applying for disability benefits.

Each Disability Starter Kit contains a:

* Factsheet that answers questions most people ask about applying for disability benefits,
* Checklist of documents and information we will request, and
* Worksheet to help you gather and organize the information you will need for your disability interview or to complete the online forms.

At this time, you cannot complete an application for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability online. If you are filing for SSI disability, you can complete the Disability Report Form online. You can view the Fact Sheet and Checklist in the Disability Starter Kit to see what information you will need and the kinds of questions we will ask when you have your disability interview in your local Social Security office or over the phone.
Picture of Lolo
Applying online takes a lot of time. Be sure you have all your Drs names, addresses and numbers, all your tests and Dr visits as well as dates, etc. After you complete a section, you will be given the option to save and return later. It gets overwhelming but you can do it! We have both been asked by an SS employee if we used a lawyer and thankfully, we did not need one. Try it one your own first and maybe save lawyer fees!

I would apply ONLINE over in person.
Sadly, it seems you wait forever in person and I get the feeling that some employees at the SS place are just putting in their hours.

God is the greatest physician of all.
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce:
I also posted this same message under Finance.

For those who are considering early retirement because of disability reasons associated with Kennedy's Disease, I wrote a guide a year ago on how to apply for Social Security-Disability benefits. Follow this link to the guide: http://www.kennedysdisease.org...ecurity_process.html

Several Associates have used the guide to help secure their benefits and found it very helpful. If you do use it and discover that something has changed, please let me know through this forum and I will update the guide. Good Luck!

The previous link is broken, but the Disability Guide can now be found at this link: http://www.kennedysdisease.org...urity-Disability.pdf

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,
Could you please forward the link or email us the disability packet. I have tried the links and get a 404 error. Your help is greatly appreciated. We are new to this and trying to keep from sinking.
Picture of Bruce
Gary, yes, some of the older links might be bad since the upgrading of the KDA website. The information and guides are on the website, however. For SS-D, the link is http://www.kennedysdisease.org...urity-Disability.pdf

Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Hang in there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,