Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Medications and Therapies    Two things I should have done earlier

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two things I should have done earlier
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Colostomy and Intermittent self-catheterization (ISC.)

I know, yuck!

As my symptoms progressed it became harder to deal with bodily functions. (I as was well into my sixties.) When out and about it became harder to find public facilities I could use. At home, I struggled with transfers and had several falls. Eventually, my life revolved around my bathroom at home. I was using the outer limits of my physical abilities while doing toileting.

A minor loss of ability due to a fall caused a "urinary emergency." Luckily I got to see a urologist quickly and "walked" out with temporary supplies to deal with my emergency. If/when you start having similar issues I suggest you see a urologist before your emergency occurs. Get some sample ISC supplies and learn how to use them.

Eventually, I reluctantly I had learned what a "bowel program" is and what a pain in the ass it can be, so to speak. The topic came up in a "support" group and some expressed how a colostomy was life-changing for them. I had thought colostomy surgery for my situation would be hard to justify for insurance, turns out I was wrong (at least for Medicare.) Seems that anyone in a situation like ours easily qualifies. I wish I had the colostomy several years earlier while my bowel program was running my life.

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Thanks for sharing Bob. I feel that I am heading down this path myself and like you am getting frustrated with having to manage bodily functions.