Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impact of Novocaine
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
My father has Kennedy's disease and recently had some teeth removed. Does anyone know of a correlation between novocaine and the disease progression? He has noticed substantial weakness in his arms and neck since the procedure took place.
Picture of KDA Adminstrator
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi, I have had Novacaine many times and have had no adverse effects due to it nor have I heard from any others with KD that have. Check back on this forum post for replies from others.

Terry
Thank you for the quick feedback. Maybe the trauma is having an impact - that and the colder weather. Thanks again.
I've been lucky for many years where I haven't had any fillings or extractions performed. However, lately, I've been getting worried whether a local anesthetic would affect my breathing.

Any comments? Am I just being a bit paranoid?
Picture of Bruce
I haven't experienced any problems with novacaine or a local given by a dentist. If you are concerned, however, I would check with your neurologist prior to having a local administered.
I was thinking of bringing a crowbar and having the nurse hit me over the head with it...

I guess your way would make more sense.
Picture of Dan LADOUCEUR
quote:
Originally posted by loshimo1:
I've been lucky for many years where I haven't had any fillings or extractions performed. However, lately, I've been getting worried whether a local anesthetic would affect my breathing.

Any comments? Am I just being a bit paranoid?

My dentist is pretty aggressive about pain control and his typical method did effect my breathing enough to stop the procedure and cause me to come back another day. He used a less aggressive method the second time and I was OK with that. We also noted that I do not deal well with a head down tilt. A moderate tilt helped a lot.

No matter what the dentist does I doubt he will stop you breathing. It may become labored but they are well prepared for that reaction. Best to inform them that you have a neuromuscular disorder before you get started.

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail