Kennedys Disease Community
excessive saliva

This topic can be found at:
https://kennedysdisease.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8581031121/m/42110786

04-02-2009, 06:39 PM
c-rios
excessive saliva
My father has been battling Kennedy disease for the last 20 years. He was just recently diagnosed with Kennedy Disease a week ago. Lately he has had a problem with excessive saliva. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best drug to reduce saliva(nightime specially) without bad side effects? Is this a common symptom for this disease?

Any recommendations?

Caleb
04-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Bruce
Good Morning,

Is it saliva or mucus that is creating the problem. Many of us have problems with mucus. We often choke on it. For that, I recommend Mucinex Expectorant in the 12 hour tablets. They really work. My doctor recommended them several years ago and I find whenever I have a problem with mucus that it only takes a couple of days of using the tablets to clear the problem up. I haven't noticed any side effects and it is an over-the-counter product.

If it is saliva, I haven't heard of that and don't know what to say. I would recommend seeing your father's doctor and determine if something else is causing the excessive flow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,
04-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Pocatello Jim
Caleb,

I seem to produce a lot of saliva, especially when I sleep. If I fall asleep in a chair or on the couch, I often choke. I also wake up at night with a wet pillow and have to flip it over. However, I am not sure that it is SBMA related. My son also, produces a lot of saliva when he sleeps and he does not have SBMA.

Unfortunately, I have always just seen this as a nuisance and have not sought medical treatment, so I cannot recommend any medications.

Pocatello Jim