Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

excessive saliva
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
My father has been battling Kennedy disease for the last 20 years. He was just recently diagnosed with Kennedy Disease a week ago. Lately he has had a problem with excessive saliva. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best drug to reduce saliva(nightime specially) without bad side effects? Is this a common symptom for this disease?

Any recommendations?

Caleb
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Good Morning,

Is it saliva or mucus that is creating the problem. Many of us have problems with mucus. We often choke on it. For that, I recommend Mucinex Expectorant in the 12 hour tablets. They really work. My doctor recommended them several years ago and I find whenever I have a problem with mucus that it only takes a couple of days of using the tablets to clear the problem up. I haven't noticed any side effects and it is an over-the-counter product.

If it is saliva, I haven't heard of that and don't know what to say. I would recommend seeing your father's doctor and determine if something else is causing the excessive flow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,
Picture of Pocatello Jim
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Caleb,

I seem to produce a lot of saliva, especially when I sleep. If I fall asleep in a chair or on the couch, I often choke. I also wake up at night with a wet pillow and have to flip it over. However, I am not sure that it is SBMA related. My son also, produces a lot of saliva when he sleeps and he does not have SBMA.

Unfortunately, I have always just seen this as a nuisance and have not sought medical treatment, so I cannot recommend any medications.

Pocatello Jim