Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thank you Bruce
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Bruce you were right on when you said not to assume all symptoms are from KD. My husband started to suffer increased muscle weakness and pain, his breathing also became more difficult over the last month. It seemed like another progression of symptoms had started. Thanks to a very good nuerologist she investigated to rule out could it be something else? Well after a round of different blood tests, my husband was diagnosed with a second disabling condition called auto-immune nueropathy. Basically, his immune system started to fight his KD. This lead to an alarming antibody count(4 times the normal count)which caused an attack on his nerves. Not treating this could have lead to sudden acute paralysis and being placed on a ventilator to breath. IV IG infusion treatments of gamma glaubulin were started immediately, and some improvement has already been noticed.
Thank you for listening, sometimes that is the best medicine for a wife who just can't bear to watch her husband deteriorate before her eyes.
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
You are welcome. I am sorry to hear of the diagnosis, but it is good to hear that the issue was diagnosed and now can be treated.

Since the progression is happening to me, I occasionally forget of the mental and emotional impact that the disease has on our loved ones. The strength that care-givers have amazes me.