Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Research  Hop To Forums  Discussion of Papers    Genistein promotes degradation of mutant androgen receptor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Genistein promotes degradation of mutant androgen receptor
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Here's an old paper, but one that has not been commented on in this forum, as far as I know. A 2013 paper found that genistein promotes degradation of the mutant androgen receptor in a mouse model of KD. Genistein is a nutritional supplement derived from soybeans, and is commonly available at health food stores. Any thoughts? Here's a link to the original paper.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.co...ll/10.1111/jnc.12172
Picture of ToddAllen
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I saw that paper but I never tried extracted genistein in supplement form. When possible I go for foods first and genistein is a phytoestrogen and I'm slightly concerned of the possibility it might aggravate gynecomastia increasing my hesitancy to start with a concentrated form. Having an intolerance for soy I saw that kudzu was also high in genistein and ordered powdered kudzu. But it tasted bad and gave me even more severe gut disruption than soy so I tossed the kudzu after 2 or 3 days. Genistein is only one of a rather long list of compounds potentially beneficial for KD and I've tried quite a few. But none of them have given me sufficiently immediate and profound results such that I am confident they are truly helping me. Perhaps some day when I have been in a long period of stability such that I could better detect subtle effects over a longer time frame I will try some of them again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ToddAllen,