Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Research  Hop To Forums  Discussion of Papers    Arginine as potential disease-modifying drug
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arginine as potential disease-modifying drug
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Arginine as potential disease-modifying drug

Saw this and was wondering what peoples thoughts were about it. Also wondering if this implies L-arginine supplements might be helpful on some level.
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Ben, the study you linked is very interesting, but of course it references a mouse model of PolyQ diseases. Arginine hasn't been tested for PolyQ diseases in humans yet.

Arginine is a commonly available nutritional supplement which is an amino acid. This article provides a list of the expected benefits and possible unwanted side effects.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.c...4#What-is-L-arginine

It might be worthwhile talking to your doctors about arginine for KD, but since it hasn't been tested for KD in humans, most likely the only thing the doctors can say is that they don't know. Generally doctors don't like to recommend drugs that aren't tested and aren't FDA-approved.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan B,
Picture of ToddAllen
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Arginine is also present in food. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and higher protein foods tend to be higher arginine foods. A significant portion of our arginine is used to make creatine an energy carrier for both muscles and nerves. Creatine monohydrate is one of the most extensively studied muscle enhancers and there is a lot of evidence of positive benefits in combination with resistance strength training in men without KD. It has been trialed for men with KD too but in this case it looks poorly done (no strength training) and I doubt they achieved significant results.
https://www.researchprotocols.org/2018/3/e69/

While it is only anecdotal for a few years I've been taking AAKG (arginine alpha keto glutarate) and creatine monohydrate and eating a diet increasingly high in protein as my tolerance for high protein improves and now mostly eat red meat, eggs and fish and supplement with a little whey protein concentrate. And as far as I can tell these are all working well for me. One possible issue is with my diet and lifestyle changes my cholesterol and testosterone have been steadily increasing and are now crazy high worrying my doctors but neither seems to be causing me harm so far.