Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Food and Nutrition    Thoughts on Ensure Muscle Health

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Ensure Muscle Health
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Recently I noticed that Abbott Labs has come out with a new version of Ensure, called Ensure Muscle Health. According to the website:
quote:
Ensure Muscle Health has Revigor, the amino acid metabolite HMB, and protein to help rebuild muscle and strength naturally lost over time.
According to Wikipedia:
quote:
Three grams of [HMB] per day may help muscles combat protein breakdown, assist in muscle repair and support increased endurance. Studies suggest its benefits may be greater for the untrained. Also, well-controlled scientific studies have found increases in muscle mass and decreases in body fat in 70 year old men. It has helped patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in hospital intensive care units, muscle wasting associated with HIV or AIDS and with cancer, and trauma victims with severe injuries....The human body produces about 0.2-0.4 grams per day. Standard doses in research studies have been 1.5 to 3.0 grams per day, usually divided into two doses.

So they may be on to something here. For me, the problem with Ensure Muscle Heath is that it is designed to help people gain weight along with build muscle mass, so it contains 22 grams of sugar per serving, which I don't need. Therefore, I made my own substitute shake using the following recipe:
  • 12 ounces cows' milk or almond milk
  • 1 scoop whey powder
  • 1 heaping teaspoon creatine monohydrate
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar or Splenda
I have found that if I make up one of these shakes before exercising, and then sip on it during exercise, it seems to help my muscle recovery time. I feel much less sore and crampy the remainder of that day and the next day.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but I am convinced that specialized muscle nutrition is a good idea for people with SBMA, particularly if you are exercising. If you have tried other products or recipes, please let me know your results, either by PM or by replying to this discussion. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan B,
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Two articles on HMB and Ensure Muscle Health popped up recently, one from the L.A. Times, and another from the scientific Journal of Applied Physiology.

According to the L.A. Times:
quote:
They [researchers] found that HMB appeared to have the greatest effect in men who were not routine weight lifters or resistance trainers. For such men, taking the supplement for an average of five weeks resulted in an average 6.6% increase in body strength when they stuck to an exercise routine.

According to the physiology journal:
quote:
In conclusion, supplementation with either 1.5 or 3 g HMB/day can partly prevent exercise-induced proteolysis and/or muscle damage and result in larger gains in muscle function associated with resistance training.
I am a regular gym going person and want to know how to stable my weight but want to increase my muscles . What is the best way of doing it .Help me please .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,
Picture of Bruce
Karanwatson, are you a carrier? What is your age? Are you experiencing KD symptoms? If so, what are the symptoms?
I think Kawasaki disease is a condition that causes irritation in the dividers of little and medium-measured conduits all around the form, incorporating the coronary veins, which supply blood to the heart muscle. Kawasaki ailment is additionally called mucocutaneous lymph hub syndrome in light of the fact that it likewise influences lymph hubs, skin, and the mucous films inside the mouth, nose and throat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,