Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Service Dog
 Login/Join

Picture of Pocatello Jim
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
On December 1, 2013, my Primary Care Physician referred me to receive a Service Dog in the six weeks since then, I have learned quite a bit...it has been a crash course!

I have created a facebook page to share my experience and help others who may go through it in the future. Please feel free to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages...-Dog/581376448615263

Pocatello Jim
Picture of Pocatello Jim
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I think I better clarify. The facebook page is an ongoing, work-in-progress. I have learned a lot in 6 weeks, but I still have a lot to learn and there is long journey ahead as my family and I work with our breeder, puppy, and trainers to navigate this process.

I am inviting anyone who is interested in joining us on this journey to "Like" this page. Follow along. Comment. Critique. Become part of the experience.

Pocatello Jim
Hi Jim,

I read the blog, and I think it is a very interesting idea. One thing I'm not clear on, though, is what kind of help Toppurr will provide for you. If possible, could you share a little info about that?
Picture of Pocatello Jim
That is an excellent question. Service Dogs for mobility impaired can be trained to pull wheelchairs, stabilize while walking, help up from seated position, help up after fall, get help after fall, pick up dropped items, turn on lights, open doors, carry items, etc.

Toppurr's specific skills and training will depend on his size, temperament, and personality when he is ready to start Service Dog specific training.

Pocatello Jim
In what capacity would I be able to make my canine an administration creature so I can take him/her all around I go?