Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keeogo mobility device
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Keeogo
The start of available exo-skeletons.
KD user
Now how to afford one...
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Cam, that is really remarkable, especially when you read that a man with KD in Canada is already using it!

Unfortunately, it can't yet be sold in the U.S. since it's not FDA-approved yet, and it costs $50,000 Canadian. But approval and lower costs will come with time.

Thanks for sharing this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan B,
Picture of Bruce
Paul Lazenby provided some additional comments on his experience with Keeogo.

Paul provided some additional information on the Keeogo. Batteries last 45 minutes for heavy climbing, 3hrs for walking. Batteries change out easily, and recharge in about 20 mins. There is a tension control so there is less torgue while walking and the higher setting for stairclimbing. It really does power you up the stairs.

Had it on for two and a half hours, did multiple stairs (plus the big step several times leading with either foot) and walked a fair bit outdoors. The large step would be impossible for me normally without a railing or pushing on my knee with my hands. It really does make stairs effortless for me. When I was out walking, it feels a little awkward, because it still hasn't/won't adjust to my natural rolling pirate gait .. but.. I found my self whistling, and could carry on a conversation when normally I walk with teeth clenched and very focussed.

It feels very supportive and solid. The other gentleman who you see striding by in the video has a spinal cord injury and cannot walk straight or without a cane normally, has been using the device three times a week for the last month and is doing great. the computer actually powers one of his legs more than the other to give him a natural stride which he says is helping to relieve the strains his injury is causing to the rest of his body.
Picture of ToddAllen
Exoskeleton tech appears to be advancing quickly and perhaps they will become as common as other mobility aids such as powerchairs.

But think of the glitches and frustrations people have encountered with their comparatively simple smart phones. Imagine hurrying up a flight of stairs when a sensor glitches and your powered suit lurches in an uncontrollable way.

Perhaps the greater risk is that if these things become really good and people use/depend on them too much it might accelerate the processes of atrophy and further dependence. The devices could also make for interesting exercise possibilities by limiting the amount of assistance or perhaps even offering resistance. I expect there will be surprises as these devices evolve.