Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Mobility Aids    Power Chair/Scooter or Manual Wheelchair
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power Chair/Scooter or Manual Wheelchair
 Login/Join

Picture of KDA Adminstrator
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
List here what type of Wheelchair or PowerChair/Scooter you have and how you like it and how wellit gets you around. Also Pro's & Con's.
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I have two: a mini-Jazzy 1103 and a Bruno 1200.

The mini-Jazzy works very well indoors. Its small wheels and slow speed make it marginal for traveling around downtown. I recent bought another 1103 for parts. It was pretty worn out but had an electric lift seat (and a working battery charger which mine didn't.) I haven't had a chance to try out the new seat yet. The original mini-Jazzy 1103's seat was getting too low for my sit-to-stand abilities, I'm hoping the new electric seat will address that issue. With my weight of 220lbs I stress the mini-Jazzy but since I use it almost exclusively in flat indoor locations that is not an issue.

The 1103 mini-Jazzy was my first chair but I ran across a good deal on a Bruno 1200(I think that is the correct number). Its seat could go be set much higher and its larger wheels and higher speed were attractive. I have a Bruno lift in my T&C mini-van I used the powerchair for some tasks like shopping in superstores and getting around downtown/malls. I use it for office visits if I don't know for sure how long I will have to stand or when I'm not sure I have good seating (for me) where I am going. In general the Bruno is not good as an indoor chair.

I rarely use the 1103 today but I expect as my mobility decreases I will switch to it as my primary chair in conjunction with a lowered floor van. (If anyone knows of a good deal on a lower floor van in California – LA to SF to Central Valley +/- let me know. Plus I am also looking for a high backed seat that can be used with single post seating.)

The big difference between the two is the 1103 is a mid-wheel, highly maneuverable chair, while the Bruno is rear drive and fine maneuvers are not possible due to the castor design of the front wheels.

I would highly recommend a mid-wheel powerchair to other KD’ers. Single post seating allows for rotation for easier sit/stand and powered elevation control.

Watch for seat height issues. The old 1103 mini-Jazzy is probably too small/low for many (I’m 5’10” and need 22”+ seating) but there are quite a few mid-wheel chairs around. Few have the maneuverability of the 1103 however. In the current Pride Mobility line the 1103 Ultra, 1143 Ultra, and the 600 are probable picks.

Powerchairs are heavy so for any travel you need a lift or lowered floor van. The powerchairs are also too heavy for outside lifts or for manual disassemble for travel. A mini-van plus Bruno lift works great while you still have some mobility. Be sure to get a lift that is powered in/out and up/down and make sure it can deal with the heavy chairs (there are some around that are limited to 200lbs.) If you use a lift you will most likely not be able to use high back seating due to clearance issues.

I do not recommend the rear wheel drive chairs.

I do recommand mid-wheel power chairs (with elevating seat).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Heitzman,

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
Picture of Bruce
I have a Jazzy 1121. It is a mid-wheel drive chair that is quite maneuverable (21" turning radius) and can travel up to 6 mph (plenty fast for almost all activities). It has five operating speeds. I use level two around the house and level four or five when out.

I also have a power lift in my T&C, but will soon trade in the van for a drive-in ramp - lowered floor mini van because it is more convenient, especially when raining. The van I am looking at has a driver's seat that slides (power-slide) into the second row of the van so I can transfer from the chair to the seat easily. It also has a removable passenger seat if I just want to park and ride.

I tested a rear drive chair and did not like the turning radius. It might be fine for outside use, but in my house I need something that can turn on a dime and the Jazzy does just that.

I did not buy the power lift seat, but now wish that I had. I had the seat on my chair raised to the top notches to make it easier for me to stand up, but the power lift seat would have been better and more convenient.
<Richard>
Hello, all: I use a "Shop-Rider" for all purposes - it's their 'chemelion' version; it is extremely portable [so much so, that I can store it in the back of my 2006 Ford Escape & my darling wife, Karen, can easily take apart and put it back in my SUV !I don't feel that a van is needed, at this time.
My scooter, costs only $2000.00, the costs were picked up by the local ALS (London, chapter).
The scooter was available at "Midwest Medical Supply", and I can be a 'contact' for you, should a need arise.
Picture of Lurch
I got a lot better price on a Shop-Rider. $900. It is so tiny it will go anywhere, but a big man would have a problem. I weigh in at 160#. It is narrow so it tips sideways easily so you avoid sharp fast turns and use your legs as outriggers.
<Richard>
I, too, have a shoprider, their "chemelion" series !
I am 245lbs and I find it very adequate, but I wouldn't want much more weight on it !
I have a Golden Companion II, 3-wheeled scooter. It has a variable adust seat that works like an office chair. The seat allows me to ajdust the seat height which is especially nice when sitting at a table in a restauant.
The scooter has a maximum speed of 5 mph (which is handy when crossing busy intersections) and a range of 23 - 28 miles. It can be used indoors and out. I have used it on cruise ships, around Disney World, and generally any where I want to go. I can not use it around my apartment though. The turning radius is 33 inches.
I transport it in a Toyota Sienna van with a Freedom Curb Sider lift -- the lift costs more than the scooter. Toyota kicked in $1,000 toward the cost of the lift as part of their mobility program. This set up allows me the mobility to do things I missed doing before I bought the scooter. I now can attend HS football and basketball games, go to the county fair with my grand children, and go to concerts. I use the scooter anytime I would be on my feet for more than 20 or 30 minutes as I can still get around quite well with a cane, but my legs tire quickly.
I recently bought a Liberty Cane designed and manufactured by John Coakley, Sr. I highly recommend it. Being a KD patient, John has built in many features needed by patients with KD and others with neuro-muscular disabilities.
I am having a problem finding a cane holder for my scooter. If anyone has any ideas, please send me a note at dlcmlc@verizon.net
Hi,
Andy is going to need a better scooter as the one he has is not comfortable for sitting for long times.
He needs one that would work in the apt and outside.
thanks for you input on this.
Lillian Horvath
Picture of Bruce
If Andy needs something for an apartment or home, do not buy a scooter. Find an electric wheelchair with a small turning radius. Mine will turn in a circle in 22". It is extremely flexible in a home allowing easy handling. I had a scooter before this and it just would not function well in the home. The electric chair lift option is a nice feature and should also be considered. It makes it easier to fit under a table, raise yourself up to the height of others, and is great for transfering to and from the bed, other chairs, etc.
I still highly recommend the Pride Jazzy 1103. If has a very tight turning radius and is a very good indoor power chair. An elevating seat is standard.

Dealers sell it cash and carry for $3,800, retail is $5,800. You can usually find them used for 50% or more off.

I also suggest you get registered with the MDA. They have a generous wheel chair/power chair benefit. http://www.mdausa.org/ http://www.mdausa.org/

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
Thanks for the the informationg on the power chairs.
<Bob>
My husband really enjoys thrift shopping especially parusing the Goodwill stores! He found us two used power chairs at two different THRIFT STORES for less than $200 each! Thankfully, they only needed the batteries. For his chair, the local MDA clinic paid to put the batteries in. For Kennedy's patients (or any Muscular Dystrophy patient), you are allowed up to $500.00 in wheelchair repairs a year through your local MDA. I don't know how many of you are aware of this? So, we paid nothing for his batteries! The chair rides great and turns on a dime. We are both disabled (I was first 10 years earlier than he was.) Now we are in need of a vehicle that can lift and carry two wheelchairs? -Lois
Picture of Robbie2
Has anyone here had any experience with the iBOT Mobility System? My husband and I saw a tv commercial for this power chair recently and it looks amazing. I would imagine the cost is prohibitive too. Unfortunately, it is only currently available in the U.S. and Britain at this time. Thanks for any feedback, in advance Smiler
http://www.ibotnow.com/about-ibot.html
Picture of Bruce
I went to their website and reviewed their video. I then asked for more information on the chair. It looks pretty amazing, but right now is too expensive for my blood. It needs some competition to force their hand on pricing. If you buy one, let me know what you think of it.