Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Medications and Therapies    Do you or have you taken the drug ULTRAM (Tramadol)

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you or have you taken the drug ULTRAM (Tramadol)
 Login/Join

Picture of KDA Adminstrator
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  

Question:
I take the drug Ultram for pain associated with my KD. I have told different people at the past KDA conferences that when I take the medicine I fall less and seem to be able to do more. I notice that when I fall and my legs give out without notice is when I forget to take my Ultram. Also I seem to fall when it wear off at the end of the day. This may seem strange but I am wondering if anyone else has taken this and noticed this.

You can vote on this and also leave comment on this topic once you vote by clicking on the REPLY at the bottom right corner.

Choices:
Yes I take Ultram and I notice the same thing
I take Ultram but no change in falling
I do not take Ultram
I have tried Ultram but it did nothing for me
Other - See Comments

posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I have tried Ultram for pain. I consider Ultram to be a very mild pain medication. I require stronger pain medication in order to relieve the muscle pain, joint pain, and cramps. I alternate between Talwin, and Percocet. I find tha Quinine sulfate, two 325 mg capsules taken at bedtime, help with the cramping, without any side effects. I also receive an injection of Delatestryl (testosterone) 1cc every two weeks, improves strength.
Picture of Dan LADOUCEUR
Bob:

Are you still getting the Deltestryl injections and if so, are they still helping you with your strength? Do you know of any over-the-counter testosterone supplements that will do the same thing?

Thanks.

Dan
I think that it is now fairly well understood that testosterone accelerates the damage done by KD. Are not trials now underway that involve a testosterone blocking drug? I would not take it.
Picture of Dan LADOUCEUR
Cam:

So if testosterone is not good for you along with steroids, how does this factor in with Androgen sensitivities and their depleted levels? Is there a synthetic testosterone that would mimic without the nasty side effects?

Any ideas Cam...et al?

Dan
Hi Dan I am far from an authority on this; I think the choice is to figure out how to get along with natural or reduced testosterone levels, or take your chances with the effects of KD. I am not aware of a synthetic testosterone drug which will result in the benefits with none of the downside.
Picture of Bruce
Yes, Cam is correct. Doctors/researchers now say that we should stay away from anything that would elevate testosterone levels. A defect in our gene does not allow for the proper cleaning of the garbage that is collected by our androgen receptors when the muscles are used (my terms and I am not a doctor). You can read more about this in several chat room transcripts including Dr. Paul Taylor's chat this fall.
My father refused to take anything, and would fall several times a month. (He didn't know that he had this disease). He lost strength in his legs and arms...but remained mobile (with great difficulty!) until his death.