Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lap Swimming
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi,

I started experiencing KD symptoms in 2014 but it took 5 years and thousands of dollars in copays for MRIs, EMGs and other procedures before I found the right neurologist that confirmed my KD diagnosis in 2019. As someone who was into weightlifting, I was unknowingly damaging my muscles until my diagnosis. To maintain the muscularity I have left, I have been lap swimming 3 days a week for approx 40 mins a session. Although I'm by far the slowest swimmer in the pool, the effect is amazing for maintaining my current muscularity & slow the spread of the disease. Plus of course the aerobic benefit.
Picture of ToddAllen
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi Jon, welcome to the forums. I'm jealous of your swimming, my local pools have been closed since last April due to covid-19. But without access to pools I've doubled down on weightlifting and it is working out well for me. The key for me has been tracking my performance and recovery time. I try to limit my sessions in duration such that I'm well recovered in a day or two at most. Many recommend not pushing too hard and keeping some strength in reserve but I've been getting good results incorporating all out 100% efforts in every exercise session but keeping it brief and resting or stopping when I fatigue too much to maintain good form.