Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knees Buckling
 Login/Join

Picture of Bruce
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
For several years my knees have buckled without any warning. Several times I have broken bones in the leg, ankle or foot as a result of the fall. After recovering from two broken bones int he left leg this summer, I started a new exercise program to build up the quads.

1. Use a grab bar in front of me for balance, I stand on one leg for two to three minutes. I then switch to the other leg. When I first started, two minutes did not seem possible.

2. After flexing the legs a few times, while still holding the grab bar I then twist to the left as far as I can go (I end up looking backwards) and then to the right. Each twist I hold for about five seconds and then twist in the opposite direction. I do ten twists to each side.

3. I flex my legs a few times and then while holding the grab bar walk in place. I actually perform the walking motion including the slight lifting of the knee and foot. I do 150-180 steps. At first, I could really build up a sweat doing these exercises, but today it is relatively easy and still something comfortable to do.

Results: I have noticed no adverse effects from the exercise and the quads and knees feel stronger today then they have felt in years. My balance has also improved.
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
For those further along you can do these same exercises in a swimming pool with less stress and with more safety. Keeping what muscles we do have in shape can do nothing but help.

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
Picture of Bruce
Exercise Update:

I am now up to 3½ minutes on each leg, 20 twists to each side, and 180+ steps in place. My weak leg (the left one) is now as strong as my right one. I can more easily stand from a seated position (increased quad strength).
Strengthen the hamstring muscles on the back of the upper leg. Engage in compound exercises like dead-lifts and lunges, as well as isolating exercises such as leg curls.Its really helpful.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,
I suggest wearing a knee brace! it worked for me! I had terrible knees until i went to the doctor and asked what to do about it. He suggested doing some research of my own as well as to purchase a knee brace! So that's what i did and i have been fine ever since!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,
Picture of jameson411
I am starting to get to that point where my kness give out without warning. It has only happened a few times, but so far I have been able to catch myself before falling. These are excellent suggestions on the leg exercises. As long as we don't push ourselves to exhaustion, I can believe that these exercises would help.
I have been concerned about my knees buckling some days multiple times a days 2 or 3 without warning.
What should I do if theirs anything. Just take it slow ?

Bertram Smith
Picture of Bruce
Work your quads every day. Don't overdue it, but exercise them daily. Stand at a counter or some type of place where you have support it you need it.

1. Lift the left leg straight up as high as comfortably possible. Then lift the right leg as high as possible. Call that one rep. Perform as many reps as comfortably possible without overexerting yourself while holding onto the counter for support. I do 75 to 80 each morning.

2. I then rest a couple of minutes and do the following. Lift your left heel off the floor as high as comfortable while keeping the toe on the floor. Repeat with the right heel. That counts as one rep. Alternate left and right. Perform as many as comfortable. I do 80 each morning.

When starting out, do not try to do too many. The object is to strengthen the good muscles while not causing any damage.

Several times over the last year, my left knee buckled, but each time I caught myself (knock on wood). Lifting the leg in place is great for the quads.

3. While sitting down, lift your left knee as high as possible like you are peddling a bike. Do the same on the right. Again, one rep. I do nine reps.

4. I then do nine leg lifts where I straighten the leg in front of me.

Then nine of the others and then nine of these again. Do as many as comfortably possible without overdoing it.

I hope this helps. Stay upright.
Picture of ToddAllen
I struggled increasingly with this for many years and got to the point where I was falling several times daily, but through changes in diet, sleep, exercise, etc. rarely fall anymore.

I've found it helpful to go for a walk each day. When walking for exercise I try to maintain good posture and form and walk as briskly as I can, pausing to rest as soon as it becomes hard to maintain good form.

I often go with a rollator style walker as it enables me to walk farther, faster and to a little deeper fatigue as I can usually catch myself if I push to the point where my knees start to buckle. But I like to mix it up and do walks with trekking poles and unassisted too.

On days when the weather is poor I'll do a few flights of stairs or short walks inside carrying something moderately heavy.
I want to thank you on some the routines. Walking on a machine is a good idea I can do. Or lifting my legs one at a time at home. I do have some problems standing on my toes. Is there anything wrong. Or is it due to Kennedy's disease.

Bertram Smith
Picture of Bruce
Standing on my toes is something I cannot do. That is why I do the heel raise to use the forward foot muscles.

You never mentioned how old you are and how long you have been symptomatic. I am now 70 and began seeing signs in my late 20s and early 30s. Back then I used a treadmill and climbed steps for exercise. I also pushed myself too hard and often paid a price for it.

Stay upright - it hurts a lot less.
Thank you Bruce for your reply, I am 55 and have been diagnosed for 20 yrs now. I am glad to know I'm not alone.

Bertram Smith
Picture of Bruce
You are not alone. We are all a family living with Kennedy's Disease. Take care and stay upright.