Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Exercise Discussion    Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS)

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS)
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I would like to know if anyone has tried Electrical Muscle Stimulation or EMS. EMS is a technology used by bodybuilders, athletes, and muscular dystrophy patients. It involves taping electrodes to the skin, then using a very small electric current to stimulate the muscles. This can be very effective for those who are unable to exercise.

The following website, which is by an SMA (not SBMA) patient, says he has been using EMS for 8 years with good results.
http://www.celestialnet.com/sma3/ems/

More background on EMS can be found at the following page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E...l_muscle_stimulation

Needless to say, you should talk to your doctor before trying anything like this, but I am curious if anyone has tried it for KD. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan B,
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Dan, thanks for bringing this question to the forums. My husband tried to bring it up in one of the chat sessions but I believe his question was unanswered. I will check out the links you posted to provide to him in the meantime as he has recently been experiencing significantly more difficulty with his swallowing. Thank you.