Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Exercise Discussion    EMS - Electrical Muscle Stimulation?

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EMS - Electrical Muscle Stimulation?
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Has anyone tried EMS to help deal with the muscular atrophy?

Anyone have insight into if EMS may be contraindicated for SBMA?

Seems to me EMS may be a useful in a recover plan if/when the current BVS857 clinical trial results in building muscle mass.

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi Bob,
I asked the same question back in 2009, and didn't get much of an answer then either. http://kennedysdisease.groupee...=357101002#357101002

However, I mention in the 2009 post an article about an SMA (not SBMA) patient who had good luck with EMS, so I suggest trying it.
Thanks Dan...

My guess is it could easily do damage by overworking muscles and SBMA preventing the replacement cells. With regular exercise we can quit when tired, but the EMS could be left running well beyond usefulness.

It would be nice if some analysis was done to see what the recommend usage would be.

=================
I have seen EMS machines and they all have timers that you set when starting the exercise. I think it would be fairly easy to start by setting the timer to a low value, and then gradually increase the time each day until reaching the point of soreness.

There is a fairly low-cost unit call Slendertone that is designed for muscle toning.
http://www.slendertone.com/us-en/

I am not aware of any testing of these products in men with KD.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan B,
I've been using the Revitive product for 6+ months and I find it useful.

I delayed using it until I couldn't walk any longer and the downside of it doing damage was minimal. It didn't do enough to restore my ability to walk, which would be a bit much to ask. What to did do was reduce my lower leg edema. No evidence of damage - I did start slow, don't use full power, and use it for less time that suggested.

I also use the body pad electrodes to stimulate my upper quads to retain some muscle tone. This seems to be useful in bed when I need to move my legs to turn over.

I just use it for 15 minutes while I eat breakfast. A longer treatment may be useful.

Just anecdotal evidence, not definitive.

If you buy it directly from them they have a good return policy. The body pads need replacing every 3-4 weeks and they aren't cheap. The device uses a weird jack/plug size so commonly available pads won't work.

=================