Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stress and KD
 Login/Join

Picture of Bruce
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I am trying to better understand the effects of stress on people with Kennedy's Disease.

I know in my case that when I was experiencing higher degrees of stress, I would feel weaker and have significantly more muscle spasms and twitches. I also found that meditation seemed to help regain a sense of balance during extremely stressful times. My doctor confirmed that stress can play a role in the severity of symptoms (short-term).

I would be interested in hearing from you on any effects that you can attribute to stress. Also, if you are aware of any studies or papers on stress and KD, please include the link in your reply so I can do further research.

Thanks
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I have a hard time controlling my voice under stress, along with the twitching and cramping. Perhaps the adrenaline released at such times plays a role in aggrevating the condition. Wikipedia has great info on the sympathetic nervous system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_nervous_system
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I've found if I think to much about the task I need to do, I get anxious. Legs tremble and all that. But if I just do the task without thought, I am okay.