Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slurred Speech
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Is slurred speech a symptom of Kennedy's Disease? A close friend of mine was just diagnosed with ALS Bulbar and his speech is severly slurred, so much so that he uses an electronic device to communicate. He currently doesn't have any limb issues and his speech has been like this for approx 1 year. He is also having more issues with swallowing and sucking. Thanks.
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Welcome to the KDA Forum Page! I just saw your post and read it to my husband who has Kennedy's Disease. Of course, this is something your friend should first discuss with their doctor.

You may also want to check with the Muscular Dystrophy Association in your area. ALS and Kennedy's Disease are both recognized by the MDA and they may be able to offer additional assistance for your friend in the way of finding nearby clinics as well as any assistive devices he may need.

But in response to your concern, yes, my husband does experience slurred speech and also has difficulty swallowing. But he also has other symptoms that are associated with Kennedy's Disease.

Your friend may be interested in participating in the Kennedy's Disease Association chat sessions on Saturdays as well. They are a nice way for everyone to voice concerns and learn about new things that are in various stages of research.

We are also very fortunate to be able to have some of the actual researchers occassionally participate in those chats and keep us updated on some of their progress!

Hope this helps!
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hello, and welcome to the forum. As mentioned above, the KDA offers several opportunities to share your experiences and learn from others, including doctors and researchers, about the disease.

Slurred speech can be a symptom, but it usually appears much later in life as the facial and throat muscles begin to weaken. However, it would seem that your friend would show other symptoms. There is a DNA blood test that can be used to conclusively determine if it is Kennedy's Disease. His doctor can draw the blood and send it off to a DNA lab for testing.

Because there are no other symptoms, I believe your friend should see a neurologist to determine if the slurred speech is related to ALS or KD, or some other issue (i.e., minor stroke?).