Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Open Topic    Thinking of my grandfather

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of my grandfather
 Login/Join

Picture of Pocatello Jim
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I know that yesterday was Mother's Day, but I spent the morning thinking of my grandfather. You see, Saturday we rearranged the living room. We was mostly my wife and children, especially my 17 year old son. But even with my minimal participation, I woke up Sunday weak and sore. Because it was Mother's Day, however, there was no way I staying home from church. As I struggled through my morning routine, I remembered my Grandfather, who was never diagnosed with KD, but who had all the symptoms.

He was a brick layer by trade and I remember my grandmother telling me how he had such a hard time at work that he would arrive at a job an hour early so that he could have everything just the way he needed it without the other men, especially the contractor, seeing how difficult the work was for him. And, how he would be so exhausted at the end of the day, that he would wait until everyone else had left before he made the effort to get to his truck and drive home. I remember when I was 6 years old, seeing him in a cast. He broke his leg when he fell on a job site. He was 52 years old and never fully recovered. He, like many of us, went on disability after that.

I remember watching him crawl up the stairs on his hands and knees, because he was too weak to walk up them. I remember watching him sit down on the top step and go down the stairs on his butt. I remember sitting in the car with him while my grandmother would go shopping, because he did not have the strength to walk around the store with her. I remember the day he died. He had surgery to remove colon cancer, he woke up in recovery, asked the doctor how things went, and then suffered a heart attack, which I now believe (right or wrong) was due to the effect of anesthesia on his KD weakened body.

As, I struggled through my morning routine yesterday, getting ready for church, I thought how confusing and frustrating it must of been for Papa to not know why his body kept getting weaker and weaker. And, I thought of how thankful I am to know that I have KD; to know in some small way, what is going on with my body. And, how thankful I am to the KDA for the support I receive and strength I receive knowing that each of you is here.

Thank you all for sharing your stories, your advice and your experiences. While we have never met face-to-face, I count you as my friends and family.

Pocatello Jim
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Jim, it is good to hear from you. Thanks for sharing your story about your grandfather.

Recently I was reflecting upon how difficult life must have been for my uncle who had KD and lived on a farm. The steps, the unpaved driveway and walkway up to the house, not knowing what was happening to his body, etc.

Living with KD is not easy, but it is definitely easier knowing what is happening to your body (the correct diagnosis) and that their is the possibility of a treatment in the not too distant future.

BTW, how is is exercise program coming along?
Picture of Pocatello Jim
Thanks Bruce.

The exercise program is great. It is still only a few minutes, 20-30, three times a week, but I feel great. I've even started to try a few exercises on WII Fit, but that can be a challenge. When I step on the balance board, it asks me if I'm fidgeting...I can wear myself out just trying to hold perfectly still for the few seconds it needs to measure me.

I also started drinking protein shakes once a day and that seems to help and yesterday, I bought turmeric capsules at Walmart at only $7 for 90, 500mg tablets, I figure it can't hurt to try it.

And I have lost 15 lbs and kept it off for 8 months, but I still have a long way to go...I'm still 245 lbs.

I read you thoughts on your uncle and I read your blog faithfully.

Pocatello Jim
Picture of Bruce
Jim, thanks for the reply. Congratulations on the weight loss (and keeping it off) and the continued focus on your exercise program.

Thanks also for your readership of my blog. It is hard to believe I have over 9,000 page reads a month. Who would have ever thought ...

Let us know about the turmeric.

Bruce