Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Open Topic    Use of Reglan for sdditional strength of legs

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of Reglan for sdditional strength of legs
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I have an observation which may be a lead of promise in the treatment of KD.

About three weeks ago, my doctor prescribed metoclopramide - aka Reglan, to me for treatment of diabetic Gastropareses.
This helps the paralyzed stomach muscles to process food to the intestines.

I believe that this may be a bit early, but one of the beneficial side effects that I have noted are: 1) increased strength in my leg and arm muscles,
2) the ability to walk further than before, and 3) less proclivity to falling.

It all may be in my imagination, bur I definitely feel stronger and can walk better without as much fear of falling down.

Has anyone perhaps had the same effects? and if yes - could an investigation be started to see if there is a hope foe us KDs by this route
Picture of Dan LADOUCEUR
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Pat:

I think balancing your midsection is always beneficial. It creates stability throughout your body. I have listed a web site that had information about Raglan as well as an excerpt from the web site.

Pat, please be careful. I do believe that there is merit in your observations and look forward to hearing more about them as time passes.

Good luck and congratulations

http://www.medicinenet.com/metoclopramide/article.htm

DRUG INTERACTIONS: Metoclopramide can have nervous system side effects, such as depression, anxiety, sedation, restlessness, and insomnia. Parkinson patients can experience worsening of symptoms with metoclopramide. Metoclopramide may impair the mental and/or physical abilities to drive or operate machinery. Rarely, metoclopramide can cause involuntary muscle movements, facial grimacing, and dystonic reactions resembling tetanus. Since metoclopramide accelerates stomach emptying, it can increase absorption and effects of other medications. For example, the effects of sedatives such as alcohol and diazepam (Valium) can be accelerated when used together with metoclopramide. Safety in pregnancy, nursing mothers, and children has not been established