Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Open Topic    Embarrassing Experience at Work

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Embarrassing Experience at Work
 Login/Join

Picture of Pocatello Jim
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I read, Bruce's blog today, and it reminded me of several embarrassing experiences I had at work before learning I had KD.

Prior to KD, I was a safety manager for a large quarry and construction company based in Nashville, TN. I worked out of their Indiana office.

Eight years ago,I got a call once about mold and mildew in the basement of a quarry office. I took my intern, drove to the location with the full intent of removing the boxes of old files and invoices,from said basement, then scrubbing the walls with mold and mildew cleaner. We got there, I carried one box, of the 50 or so that were there, up the steps, then I was done. My legs were rubber, my heart was pounding and I could barely stand. My intern and an employee from the quarry removed the rest of the boxes while I sat on a step and watched helplessly.

Four years ago, at a different quarry from the one above, but the same quarry as the curb incident, I was touring an underground quarry with the mine manager and another intern. We went out to his F-150. He climbed in. The intern climbe in. I put my foot in and could not lift myself up. I tried the other foot, same result. With both people now watching me curiously, I climbed into the truck on my belly, then pulled myself onto the seat with histerical laughter from the mine manager and the intern. I tried to laugh it off with an, "I guess I need to get out of the office more."

The last experience I will share happened at yet a differnt underground quarry that was thinking of purchasing a new haul-truck. You have to access the cab via a ladder. The first rung was about three feet off the ground. I grabbed the rails, lifted my leg, put it on the rung, and pulled. Nothing. I changed legs, repeated the process, and nothing. The driver called two employees over and with me pulling and them pushing, we got me into the cab.

These are just a few of the embarrassing experiences I had at work before being diagnosed with KD. For me, the diagnosis was a huge relief. My weakness was a source of humiliation in the workplace. Many employees had seen my weakness and my inability to do physical things. KD let me know that I was not a wimp, that I was not lazy. So, I shouted it from the rooftops! To anyone who had seen me struggle, I was doing the best I could. I loved my job and I respected the company I worked for and I would give anything to be with them today. But, knowing that there was a reason the no matter how many weights I lifted, I kept getting weaker, was a huge blessing for me. And, finding this site an equally huge blessing.

Thank you,

Pocatello Jim
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Jim, thanks for sharing some of your experiences. As you probably read in my blog, I had many warning signs also, but was too stubborn to listen to my body. I lived a life of little white lies trying to cover up my weakness.

You handled it much better than me. Thanks.