Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Open Topic    Glimmer of hope for future generations?

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glimmer of hope for future generations?
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
From the BBC Website: "Embryos containing DNA from a man and two women have been created by scientists at Newcastle University. They say their research, published in the journal Nature, has the potential to help mothers with rare genetic disorders have healthy children."

The research relates to mitochondrial disease, but I wonder if the concept may have potential for the genetics of KD?

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8619533.stm for the complete article.

As a Christian, I'm far from comfortable with this, but as a pragmatist and the father of a 16 year-old daughter who doesn't yet know of the implications of my condition, I thank God that she may not have to face the dreadful decision of whether or not to have children herself because of the risk to any sons she may bear.

Early days, I know, as so much promising research often fails to deliver in the end, but we can only live in hope

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John B,
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
John, thanks for sharing the link and your thoughts. Stem cell research creates controversy just like so many other subjects. No matter what you believe, however, stem cell research is here to stay.

What is remarkable to me is that research and medicine are advancing far more rapidly than ever before.

BTW, as a father, I share your concerns and hopes.
Picture of Lolo
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
John, I totally understand where you are coming from on the Christian side of all of this.
If all that would be born with defects were selectively not born, you, me, my husband and most reading this would not be here. Are we not worth being on the earth? Would you do it again even if you had KD? A perfect world with no disabilities would be wonderful but at what cost? I think we all contribute to society, our families, etc. and sometimes we teach others how to deal with their own difficulties. I would personally like to see only stem cells used that are grown, not destroyed embryos.

I do not know if you saw this posting yet or not: Overactive Protein Causes Motor Neuron Death in SBMA It looks like a targeted drug may be on the horizon.

God is the greatest physician of all.