Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ouch!
 Login/Join

Picture of Dan LADOUCEUR
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Good morning everyone. It's 3:50 am EST and I am still up. I am up because my cramping is raging all over my body, especially my legs. So, I would like to know if anyone has any natural remedies for cramping as well as chemical remidies. My cramping appears to have onset after playing ice hockey with the boys from work. At one time it was only minor cramping, maybe 4 years ago, now it's full body (legs, torso, neck). And NO I will not quit hockey.

Thanks for your view, your comments and your support.

Sincerely,

Dan Smiler
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Heat works for me. Try a soak in the bath-tub as hot as you can take it. Also an electric blanket under the sheet works wonders. I have had to sleep so hot that I was sweating, but at least there was less cramping and I could sleep. You may have to shorten up the hockey games...
Picture of Bruce
Dan, those were the good old days for me. Fortunately, major cramping is a thing of the past for this old body.

Reference the cramping, I used a hand massager, Iboprophen (sp), a hot bath or heating pad. They all helped, but I still had to tough it out. It always happened to me when I over-did (playing sports or climbing in the mountains). It was a wake-up call that I had to be a little more aware of the damage that I was doing to the body. That didn't mean that I quit having fun. It just meant I had to be a little smarter.

Keep those blades sharp!
Picture of Dan LADOUCEUR
Thanks for the help Cam/Bruce. I unfortunately cannot take Ibuprofen but have done what both of you suggested, I have taken hot baths, used hot water bottles and even topical ointments like Ben Gay. Unfortunately, the Ben Gay only made me smell funny.

Bruce, I will tone things down with regards to intensity and frequency, but find if I get a good night sleep, I am okay to play most any sport. It seems that my body needs sleep to act as a reset mechanism and destress itself. A bad night sleep usually means cramping throughout the day. I find eating lots of fruits helps along with an afternoon nap, of course, that's after I finish work

Regards,

Dan
Just noticed your posting on cramps, I heard quinine is pretty good for them. Quinine can be found in tonic water. When I get cramps i take a good drink of tonic, the cramps are reduced but I have to get up for a slash during the night, I get the same amount of sleep just not so much pain!!
http://www.3dchem.com/molecules.asp?ID=102
Picture of Dan LADOUCEUR
Thanks Davey:

Do you add anything to the Tonic water or just guzzle 'er down. Now when I say add, I mean juice, split it with pop, a aqueeze of honey?

Dan
I just drink it straight. I think it is rotten but it doesn't matter what you put in it. My wife keeps tell me to put gin in it!
You can get quinine tablets but i don't know if you need a prescription or not.
Picture of Dan LADOUCEUR
Hello and belated Merry Xmas/Happy New Year to everyone. I hope every one had a great festive season. Remember only 5 months until summer :-).

Just an observation. I took two tylenol before going to play hockey Friday night and the results were favourable. I had no cramping during the night and only light cramping during Saturday. Also, I fell asleep on the couch with my feet elevated on the arm. I'm wondering if this factored into the lack of cramping?

Sinccerely,

Dan