Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forgetting to Breathe
 Login/Join

Picture of Pocatello Jim
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Occasionally over the past year, when I fall asleep in the recliner or sitting up, I stop breathing (forget to breathe)for a second or two, long enough to wake me up gasping for breath.

Last night about 3:30 a.m. this started while I was in bed. I tried sleeping on back, on both sides and on my stomach, but no matter what position, as soon as I relaxed and fell asleep, I stopped breathing and woke up gasping for air.

I breath okay when awake, it is only when I relax and go to sleep that my diaphram seems to fall asleep also and forget to breathe.

Pocatello Jim
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Jim, it sounds like you might have Sleep Apnea. It is quite common these days and I know several people that have it. We had a chat on the subject several years ago. It can be found at Sleep Apnea.

I would recommend that you discuss this health issue with your doctor. If it is something like that, he will probably recommend a sleep study.
Picture of Pocatello Jim
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Thanks Bruce, my doctor did suggest a sleep study. This will be my second. In 2007 (prior to KD diagnosis), I had my tonsils and adnoids removed to correct obstructive sleep apnea.

I guess there are different kinds of sleep apnea, because what is happening now is way different and way scarier (for me).

Oh and on a different note, I am really enjoying your blog.

Pocatello Jim