Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eye Sight
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Greetings, I'm new to the forums here and come here seeking some information. But first a little about me.

I'm 38 years and currently showing few symptoms of Kennedy's disease. I got tested because my grandfather was diagnosed with it late in his life, and I wanted to know what my future held.

I'm still comfortable walking for a half and hour or more sometimes. I'll still take the stairs as long as I don't have to got up more than two flights in a row.

But lately I have been noticing some difficulty focusing my eyes. It feels like my focusing muscles can't or won't pull hard enough to focus clearly. It is starting to effect my work and I can foresee a day when it will effect driving. If this sort of thing ever attributed to Kennedy's disease or should I look for some other cause.

Any response or information would be very much appreciated.

John

Do the things you enjoy, enjoy the things you do. If you are having difficulty with this keep trying, its worth it.
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
John, welcome to the KDA Forum.

I would recommend that you see an ophthalmologist rather than a normal optometrist. Explain Kennedy's Disease and your concerns. He or she will be able to diagnose any neurological issues as well as other potential problems. I use to see an optometrist and was not comfortable with his knowledge of the neurological side of the eye.

When I was in my 40s, I went through a period where I felt (I will use the term) minute explosions (flashes) in the eye. It was explained to me that these were the muscles having tremors. It eventually went away, but I was concerned at the time.

I am now in my 60s and have had no problems with my vision.

Get a check up and make certain it is not something else that is causing this problem. I believe it is because I have not heard of anyone with KD that has similar problems.

Keep us posted.
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi John. I was diagnosed with KD in 2008 at the age of 54 and I have learned much more about the condition and how to deal with it thanks to the helpful and knowledgable members of the KDA and this forum in particular, so stick with us - it's well worth it!

Looking back, I have been able to relate some odd (but shrugged off at the time) symptoms to my condition, but yours is the first reference I've seen to this type of problem with vision.

I, too, experience problems focusing. It first became a nuisance around ten years ago, when driving on long journeys (typically family holidays), and was usually accompanied by twitching of the affected eye (which is itself, I believe, a recognised symptom of KD). I have always likened the sensation to having 'dense tears', i.e., as though the viscosity of the eye's lubrication had increased. Rubbing my eye usually effects a temporary respite. Latterly, I find the problem manifests itself when sitting at my PC - I'm periodically rubbing my eye as I type this. The common denominators seem to be concentration and tiredness.

As the episodes are relatively infrequent and not too bothersome, I haven't as yet discussed them with a health professional, but please be guided by Bruce; if there's one thing I've learned it's that one shouldn't automatically attribute new and/or unusual symptoms to KD.