Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Open Topic    Kennedy's disease and water retention?

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kennedy's disease and water retention?
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi from the UK,
My dad, diagnosed with Kennedy's 20 years ago, is currently in hospital with a suspected stroke. The doctors have discovered that his potassium levels in his blood are low, and he is also suffering from a very bloated stomach, and problems going to the toilet. The doctors are saying that this is a symptom of Kennedy's Disease, but I am not so sure. I have searched the web for any links to water retention but cannot find any. I suspect the doctors know very little about the disease and are clutching at straws.

Has anyone else heard of a link between KD and potassium levels/water retention?

Thanks in advance.
Claire
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I think I may have read/heard something about potassium levels having or leading to heart issues. I have not heard anything regarding water retention being caused by KD.

Maybe one of the other members can supply additional info.

I will keep your Dad in my prayers.
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I also am not aware of water retention being related to KD. My potassium levels have been in the normal range for over thirty years - since first being diagnosed with KD.