Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I know I have KD?
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi,

I've looked through the symptoms of KD. But not sure about this tremor of hands. I have my hands trembling when I carry plates or books, or tea cups. And often I have numbness in my legs, feet, and sometimes even fingers. Sometimes I have very bad cramps in my thigh which woke me up in the middle of the night. And I realised that if I stretch my legs a bit further, I would get cramps at my feet and ankle. I always get toe cramps. And recently my breathing becomes abit audible, commented by my colleague. Are these possible symptoms? And I get tired very easily. Is it recommended to go for a test and how should i go about it? Thanks.

Cheers,Lei
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Welcome Lei!
In response to your concerns, the first thing you should do is speak with your personal doctor and make sure you explain to him or her everything that you have been feeling and let him or her help you to determine what is actually causing your symptoms and then you and your doctor can decide what type of treatment would be needed.
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Lei, Yes, to echo the comment above, you need to see your primary care physician. Not all symptoms are necessarily KD related.

If needed, your doctor might refer you to a neurologist.

In the discussion with your doctor, you might ask if he is aware of Kennedy's Disease. If not, you can mention the condition exists within your family and are concerned that you might also have it. There is a brochure (on-line) designed for medical professionals. You can print it and take it along with you to the appointment.

There is a DNA blood test that will determine if you have KD. It is 99.2% accurate. The blood can be drawn at any doctor's office and sent to a DNA lab for analysis. The results are normally received within 3-6 weeks.

Reference tremors ... Yes, many of us have them. Reference cramping ... Yes, most of us have that also but it does diminish with age fortunately.