Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Open Topic    Thumbs face inward when standing.

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thumbs face inward when standing.
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi everybody. I saw an article on google some years ago. I showed a man with KD standing facing the camera, his arms were relaxed and his thumbs were pointing inward towards his legs. I checked this on myself and sure enough my thumbs point inward. Normally the thumbs should point forward, with the palms facing the legs. I have checked this out countless times with other men, every time their thumbs face forward. I told my consultant about this and he had not heard of it. He now looks for this when meeting new patients. I have not seen mention of this anywhere else. comments please.
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
My neurologist pointed that out to me early on. She also noted the muscle loss on the outside of my hands and shoulders.

My guess it is (they are) a common symptom for Neuromuscular Disorders (NMD) and/or muscle wasting in general and not specifically a KD symptom.

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
Thanks for your reply Bob. I have the same symptoms you mention, it's just I had not read anything on this 'thumbs in' issue.
Best Wishes.
Graham.
Picture of Bruce
Graham, I never noticed it before, but YUP the thumbs face inward. Interesting.
Hi Bruce. Thanks for your interest, perhaps you can find out a little more on the subject.
Best Wishes.
Hi Graham. Yes, I'm another 'Thumbs in'! Never noticed it before but if I had, I would have assumed it was to do with another congenital condition I have (no axial rotation in elbow joints, so cannot turn palms upward when arms are outstretched). It is actually an effort to make the thumbs point forward!
Hi everybody.
I am glad to have started this discussion on 'thumbs in' I have also lost the muscles on the sides of my hands and between the thumb and forefinger.
Mobility is a difficulty we all understand, however my main problem is breathing. I have developed a weak diaphgram and when lying down I cannot breath. I have used a portable ventilator for the last two years, it's the only way at night.
I also have a PEG feeding tube fitted through my stomach. This is not yet required but due to my breathing difficulty, it was considered prudent to have the tube fitted whilst I was able to undergo the operation.
My advice to everybody is do what you can whilst you can. Thanks everybody for your contributions. A special thanks to Bruce for his great hubs.
Graham.
Picture of Bruce
I recommend abdominal breathing and practice it every day and often twice or three times a day. I was also given the 'sniff and cough' exercise to practice every day by my neurologist.

SNIFF AND COUGH: Sit upright or while standing, take a good strong sniff breathing the air into your abdomen. Cough hard to expel your air. Practice ten of these in the morning and evening.

ABDOMINAL BREATHING: You can practice this anywhere, but when first starting try it while lying on your back in bed. Initially place your hands across your abdomen to feel the expansion and contraction. Take a long deep breath. Breath into your abdomen so that you can feel and see the stomach expand (diaphragm muscle is used). Breathe out through your mouth using your diaphragm to expel the air through your mouth. Take ten or more deep breaths. Practice this several times a day.
Graham, I have seen the photo you mentioned. It is on Medscape at the " Kennedy Disease Clinical Presentation" page.
There are a few other pics also that show tells of KD. It was a nice site to find, as much of the other informative sites is a regurgitation of the same info.
The KD Overview begins hereKennedy Disease info