Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Face Sag
 Login/Join

Picture of Pocatello Jim
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I mentioned a few months ago that I was no longer able smile, because the left side of my mouth would no longer pull up at the corner.

Then yesterday as I was shaving, I noticed that the left side of my face seemed to be sagging a little lower than the right side. It is very subtle and I thought I might be imagining it. So, I called my wife in to look at it, and she immediately noticed it also.

Anyone else?

Pocatello Jim
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Jim, yes this is common. The bulbar muscles weaken along with everything else. My left side also sags a little. I began to notice the muscles around the temples wasting away several years ago. Then the left cheek muscles began to sag ... then the left side of the mouth.

I recommend mouth, tongue and jaw exercises be added to your daily routines to keep these muscles stimulated.
Same here. Especially evident in pictures prior to the progession. Also cannot smile normally and have practiced in the mirror so that what 'looks' right doesn't necessarily 'feel' right. I agree with the excercises.
Not a bulbar muscle issue, but friends and family have commented lately that my eyelids often droop alarmingly. I wasn't even aware of it, although I have been experiencing eyelid tremors for a number of years. At their worst, these affect my ability to see properly and a considerable amount of eye-rubbing is needed to bring relief.
Picture of Bruce
John, I am not aware of eyelid droop as a symptom. That does not mean it cannot happer, however. I would check with your neurologist the next time you see him. This symptom could be related to some other health issue.